A Year of Fixed Axle - "Fixed Axle '15"

Ed, you are a great inspiration as always. And yes, it is the Golden Age of throwing wood I do believe.

And as Berto said, thanks for the shoutout. Fixed Axle Misfits…makes me want to call us the Fiend Club.

Fixed Axle Misfits…

I like that name. It would make a good t-shirt.

1 Like

I’d buy one.

2 Likes

I’m on it… Haha. Was already thinking about it.

I’ll get a logo created and I’ll post a pic to see if you guys want in

Or we go simple and effective like the Fist Salud boys

I’m in. I like the simplistic design idea. Either straight up “Fixed Axle Misfits,” or could do something like “The F.A.M.” Though I like my second idea, it would either require further screen printing or an audible explanation.

Either way, can we do them on fitted tees? Compliments my figure better. :stuck_out_tongue:

EDIT: we could also consider the idea of doing them similar to little league uniform tshirts. With our last name/screenname on the back.

When I first saw Fixed Axle Misfits I also thought of F.A.M. I think I would be interested in a tee shirt also just along as Omar the Tent Maker makes them.

I’d like to vote no on that. Baggy and oversized compliments my figure better ;).

Can’t wait to see it, Roberto!
I couldn’t make it to CalStates this year so I couldn’t get a t-shirt. This would more than make up for it. I’m in for sure.

Anyone ever try Toxic Lacers on a fixed axle?

I’ve been wondering the same thing, going to order some soon.

Fantastic read. Well written as always Ed.

Whilst I haven’t gone fully fixed-axle like some of y’all on here, I’ve still stuck to my goal of trying to do it a lot more often. I’m still having a great time throwing my Profly where and when I can. :slight_smile:

Also I’ve learned from experience that wood axle > metal axle w/ response. Compared to the metal axle’d fixies I’ve thrown, I’ve found woodies (pardon me?) to be much nicer to play and a lot less likely to snag. This is common knowledge to you I assume, but I never realised myself just how much better wooden axles are until I really started throwing fixies more often.

Definitely need to up my fixed-axle collection a bit next time I put an order through on here. Any recommendations that are currently in stock? My current collection is:

Duncan Butterfly
Duncan Profly
Hildy Bros Emmett
O.U.T Pocket Love

Keep up the good work lads. :slight_smile:

thx for the kind words!

i’m not full-fixed either. mostly, for sure, but one year of full abstinence was enough. throwing my bearing stuff is a nice palate-cleanser and reset button for me when i get bogged down with fixed ideas. (what a weird sentence)

my bias is showing, but i’d have to say you could stand to add a no jive and a tmbr to that quiver.
as far as tmbr’s go, i love the turner, irving pro, and sullivan, and am itching to try the new irving.

1 Like

You should! It’s a great throw! Sporting one in my pajama pocket on my dog walk this morning.

Others I would take a look at are the Currier by the Hildy Bros, OUT Just For Fun/Cheap Thrills/TreeHugger.

And of course the new Irving. A picture of my buddy Irv to follow. (Not sure if that nickname is sticking, working on a better one now.) as you can tell, Irv likes to walk.

1 Like

I am happy to hear everyone’s good reports on the New Irving because I am expecting mine in the next few days.

Don’t call it Irv. The Irv is available from TMBR’s website. It’s a take-apart Irving with the woodthread axle.

wut :o

Now that you mention it, Ido recall seeing that on his site. It’s been a while since I visited it.

I’m going with Washington. That’s the Irving that comes to mind most.

Just ordered a couple packs to try them out. I’ll let you know what I think when I get them and have a chance to try them out.

I shot a quick video today while playing some offstring with the Profly.  This will definitely improve your accuracy ;).

3 Likes

Impressive.

1 Like