A Year of Fixed Axle - "Fixed Axle '15"

Good luck!
I did a month of only fixed wood axle yoyoing. I developed a better appreciation to what Ed did, and my skills got much better. Have fun!

Enjoy my friend! Looking forward to hearing about how this goes for you.

Good luck buddy!

Thanks again to all of you for the encouragement. :slight_smile: I’ll update with vids and some thoughts once I get into the thick of it.

Anyone want to join me in fixed axle fifteen?

For 2015 I hope to only play 0A yo-yos exclusively. I know Ed Haponik did the one yoyo challenge a little while ago, but figured this would be fun and maybe I’ll actually get decent at this skill game.

I am debating the one throw thing, but maybe I’ll pick 1-4 fixed axle throws and go 365 on them and nothing else.

I really like my TMBRs and actually really like the Duncan ProFlys I got from John Higby, so that’s why I may say 3-4 throws, but no bearings for a year.

Who’s with me? Or at least who will laugh with me for this ride?

Jrod will!

http://yoyoexpert.com/forums/index.php/topic,78903.0.html

I will join you on this, but will start Jan 1, 2015, Fixed Axle Fifteen.

0A all the way…

Haha.

Posted another thread not realizing this one was on here. My iPhone YYE app craps out now, keeps shutting down so I have to check online.

Another weird challenge, no data on my phone for a year… only calls. Wanting to go back to a Motorola RAZR, AND… no cable… thinking of dropping service.

I’d like to make 2015 the year of simplicity.

@Berto - I think I could do an extra two months, especially since I really dig the idea of a community/team sort of project. I’ll combine our threads, include an invite for others to join in, and we can update this when we iron out the details back channel. :slight_smile:

So, anyone else interested in joining for a year of fixed axle play?

Want to have to fun during your “Fixed Axle” 15? Get a 1/4" ID (inside diameter) steel spacer that is no more than 1/4" in length. Replace the bearing in your Code 2 (I know you got at least one!) and go to town with a seriously high end, unresponsive fixie! The shorter the length of the spacer, the more “responsive” your fixie will be.

If you can’t find anything appropriate at your hardware store, hit up a friend who has a lathe, these are really simple to make and will add loads of fun to your year in which you’ve lost all your bearings…

db

P.S. db does not recommend using V4M on fixed axle yoyos…

1 Like

I lack the determination to do this for even a few months lol…. but starting…… NOW I will only use my classic shape no jive until the end of the month.

Wish me luck because even this small feat is ridiculously hard for me to follow through on lol….

I need to get a flying camel shaped one… sigh.

As I spend over 1/2 my time playing fixed-axle and the only reason I learn new 1A tricks is to try to make new fixed-axle tricks. I commend you both for doing this. Figure out something I can learn. And teach me

This is sort of my approach as well. I have to land my favorite tricks on fixed. I know I love a trick if I work hard enough to land it on my Duncan Imperial or Butterfly.

1 Like

I landed Jensen’s Flying Coat Hanger trick on my fixed. Aw ye…

Nice!

I’m about to buy a Baldwin. I’ll see how I enjoy it first, but this seems interesting.

I’ve been wanting to try this for a while. Thanks for posting some measurements. :slight_smile:

Looks like we are getting some traction…

So far, my TMBR Moxon, Irving and Baldwin have made the cut.

My OUT also Just for Fun and one Duncan ProFly.

But I can’t help it feel as if having too many choices defeats the purpose.

I’m trying to improve my 1A at the moment, so I wont be joining you guys in a year of playing just fixed axle.

That being said, I will be attempting to increase the amount of fixed axle play I do considerably, and will be following all your progress eagerly. :slight_smile:

No, I will still be throwing my bearing yoyo’s, but, I have been inspired to spend more time with my fixed axles.