A Year of Fixed Axle - "Fixed Axle '15"

I’d try that out on a Fixie. Any idea what was used for the rings? Maybe a little more weight would give it a better flip on a kick or varial. If you can figure out what that material is, I’ll be the guinea pig.

i’ve just heard that its a huge rubber o-ring from a freehand 2. maybe a hardware store would have them?

Looks like just a thick oring. Buna/ nitrile should be the least expensive elastomer to purchase, but I’m not sure of the exact size. You will need to know not only the diameter but the actual thickness of the ring. That one is probably size 3 or 4 for thickness, of course part numbers may vary.

Oh! I see. I was thinking of something else. Those are rubber o-rings, right? Yes, you can find those at many hardware stores. Or search for “o-rings sizing chart” on Google. There’s lots of results for sources. You might also find metal washers that might do the same thing.

Incidentally, what is the result of adding extra weight to the rims? Faster rotation? Longer spin time? Would that also result in wearing out the string faster?

you guys see these little mafs that yoyospirit made?

cant see myself using them but its great to see new stuff being made for old stuff.

http://i.imgur.com/4CNGpDQ.jpg?1

So I popped the caps out of one of my Higby ProFlys because the axle wouldn’t re tighten correctly and now I’ve got a Higby yoyo and a set of Higby caps. How in the world do I get these things back in the sides?

They’re card stock paper, right? Kind of thick paper? There’s a groove that they fit into and if you just push them in, they should pop right into that groove. Press it in at (for example) 12 o’clock and then work your way around pressing until they pop in.

If they’re not card stock paper, take a picture of them so we can see what you’re working with.

Would this drop into a no jive? that is flipping cool.

They’re plastic. They were kind of bowed out, but it was necessary to remove them to get it back to working condition. Here’s some pics.

Not sure if this shows the problem properly or not. If not, let me know and I will take some better pictures. For some reason I just can’t get it to pop incorrectly. At least, it was my five dollar it be pro fly instead of say a 15 or $20 Higby profile that the caps are removed from at this point. If anything and I cannot get them in I will probably stop at the hardware store today being as it is my day off of work, and I will attempt to find new rubber O-rings to do that weighted mod and see how that works out.

Oh wow. That’s not something that I’ve seen before. If anyone can help, please chime in! I’m sure the plastic is less flexible than the standard caps on a ProFly. I don’t want to tell you to force them in and have them crack. You could go to the source and contact John Higby himself. He’s a very nice guy and has replied to my messages before. Go to his site and send him a message: Contact / BigYoYoArt

That’s my next avenue. Just wasn’t sure if anyone else here had run into a similar situation.

Just got my flying camel! It’s awesome!

Just got this puppy this week love it!!! so much!

That looks awesome! Killer packaging too with all the extras. I hope you have a blast with it!

Sorry for the double post, but I’d like to keep this on page 1. Just updating my progress.

I’ve always held a place in my heart for 2A, especially when I first got back into yoyoing. Then I realized just how hard it really is. Well, the Fixed Axle '15 has forced me to really put in the effort.

Jan 1st - 5 front loops with right hand, 1 front loop with left hand
3 hops (hop the fence) with right hand, 0 hops with left hand
Jan 15th - 10 front loops with right hand, 3 front loops with left hand
20 hops with right hand, 4 hops with left hand
tried 2 handed front loops, did 2 on each hand and nearly killed myself on the third
Jan 31st - 20 front loops with right hand, 10 front loops with left hand
Unlimited (I can hop forever now) hops with right hand, 10 hops with left hand
tried 2 handed front loops again and did 4 on each hand before losing control.

I’m so excited about my progress in just one month. I’m really glad I came back to 2A and fixed axles. I even found a list online that identifies the 10 steps for learning 2A. The first 9 are “practice” and the last one is “buy new string”. I made a “poster” of it and put it on my wall. :smiley:

Awesome stuff, Mike. As you know, looping is HARD. Sounds like you’re coming along great with it!

1 Like

Great job Mike! I’ve always wanted to get into 2A, even have a really nice set of Raiders and Loop900’s at home. Someday I’ll really work on it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ummm… If you could send that tin my way, that would be kinda cool, I guess.

I’ve never understood how hop the fence works (I know it isn’t performed like a regen).