A US National Champion once told me...

That I should never see myself as a good yoyoer, because there will always be greater stuff out there.

This made me practice for years very intensely always trying to learn the newest stuff.

But then one day, I ran into this particular champion again, and he told me something else.

“Its time for you to think of yourself as not just a good player, but a great player, give yourself the mind-set that you are better than everyone else, and you might be surprised to find that your dreams will become a reality.”

So I was confused, why did he tell me to think of myself as bad before?

His reply rings in my ears to this day.

“Back then, you thought you were the best thing ever, you werent, Now, you think you aren’t the best thing ever, when actually, you are.”

Thought I would share this, its something that I believe really helped me with my yoyoing, and made me who I am in yoyoing today.

When that guy told me that he actually really liked my yoyoing, it was really a big thing for me, and I realized why he said what he said.

I am the best yoyoer ever.

Maybe you are too.

think about it.

J

6 Likes

wow great post Jay, but I’m still not the best yoyoer ever in the world, but I’m the best at my school. :slight_smile:

That was beautiful,Josh.

sniffle

Great yoyoing words of wisdom. Reminds me of a ed haponik blog post. It’s funny how having a certain mindset can change the way we perceive ourselves and our “craft”

It’s funny. That goes with everyday life. It was good advice from that national champ.

Great post Jayyo.

It just reminds me of how I live. Yes, I am a great audio engineer. I’ve seen the world and worked with some of the greatest entertainers of all time(and many not so greats). I’ve literally been a key player in making sure hundreds of millions of people have been entertained. Of course, I’ve been doing this for 30 years too.

Every show, there’s something new to learn. Always some new challenge, or some little oddity to gain knowledge and experience from. Even doing the same show 2 nights in a row, there’s always something new to learn. Sure, walking away from a show each night with a big bag of cash is fun, but if you can’t take away some sort of knowledge, then really,what’s the point? I am constantly looking to improve my craft.

There are two stages:
First, there is the stage where we are learning stuff so we can be proficient at something.
Then there is the second stage, where we can use what we have previously learned and use that to do what it is we want to do, but to also use that knowledge to go above and beyond. For example, I had to use a a mic splitter to steal phantom power so I could bypass the failed phantom power supply so I could use the measurement mic for my RTA. The first mic splitter, that transformer will NOT pass phantom power. Fortunately, I have another kind that, personally I like better anyways, DID pass phantom power.

It’s no different with yoyo. I’m in the first phase now and may be for quite some time. I’m a bit overly analytical, so it may take me a while to get through that as I’m trying to break down the tricks even further than are necessary, but that’s how my mind works. At some point, I am looking forward to where I can do combos and have some real fun. Once I’m proficient at that, I am hoping by then I will enter the second phase where I can make up my own stuff and have even better enjoyment.

In general, we should all never stop learning. We should always strive to improve who we are and/or what we do. I find these little challenges make things much more enjoyable for me.

But, Jayyo, a word of wisdom:

You are NOT the best yoyo’er ever. There’s always someone else. And they may be watching YOU! However, its good to have your kind of mindset and confidence. I like your playing style and how you play with confidence. Your performance videos are very well done as far as showing what you’re doing. Who knows how many people you’ve inspired to improve and continue.

May I ask who this national champion was, or is that just in there for effect.

Great post, very inspiring Jayyo.

Im not sure if he wants me to post who he was.

So If he chooses to be known, Ill have him post

Thanks

J

http://img68.imageshack.us/img68/1356/uowproclapqr9hl9.gif

Some of the best advice I’ve ever heard.

Interesting…
Psychology is an awesome thing.
It’s fun to experiment with different mindsets from time to time.
It helps keep you sane.

Sanity is way over-rated.

But, one doesn’t do what I do for as long as I do and stay sane. It kind of gets in the way.

Josh I’m a better yoyoer than you and have more swag but this tale was touching

http://img260.imageshack.us/img260/7750/lies2.gif

[b]Emoticon overload…

Thanks
Icthus[/b]

Hey.

Better is a subjective term when it comes to yoyo. There’s more to it than just banging out tricks, there’s a whole “personal style/flow” element. Although there is scoring based on technical merit, there’s an artistic element involved.

Me, I personally like watching Jayyo’s performances on video. But I’m more than willing to watch the videos of others as well. Everyone brings something different.

I really like this inspirational, encouraging side of Jayyo. I think you should show it more often. Great post, it’s really meaningful.

That is super.

Two lesson I got from your post is;

Learning, to push yourself further.

Confidence, to do better than ever.

Thanks. I really enjoy this kinda post from you.

Rule 51 of 66: develop yourself such that someday, if you should find yourself in a room surrounded by your heroes, you will be pleasantly surprised to find that you belong.

This is something I try to live. Sometimes, after loads and loads of hard, sometimes frustrating work at improving or trying to do something worthwhile, I’ll get some sign that I’m on my way there—someone I respect or admire says something to someone else when I’m not around and I catch wind of it, or certain people will approach me wanting to trade tricks, things like that—and I’ll get this feeling like yessss, achievement unlocked! Which I know is not the point of all that, but it’s still a reward to me.

But then I have to remind myself that I’m not there yet—there being someone who truly belongs in a room surrounded by those whom I perceive as my heroes. On the other hand, maybe I do in their eyes and they don’t feel like they would belong with me in the room…but that’s probably more wishful thinking than anything else. Or perhaps that’s what the true goal should be. To be the one to see them doubt themselves before extending an arm and welcoming them into the room.

Will I ever make it to that point? I like to think I have the potential, but I’m not holding my breath. As cool as it would be to just cut to a training montage and some upbeat workout music and be there in a couple minutes, that’s not really how it works…