A metal yoyo

So, I’m thinking of buying my first metal yo-yo and, since I don’t plan on spending $120 dollars on a yo-yo just to find out that I don’t like it, I thought it would be nice to get some help when deciding which yo-yo to buy.

1. What size do you prefer?

I like the diameter of my speed maker but would like a wider yo-yo with a wider FIXED gap
    (Yes, nothing with adjustable gaps, please).

2. What shape do you prefer?

I'm really open minded in this but if I had to choose, then I want one that "hugs my palm" 
    (I don't know if I'm using the correct term), I don't want pointy things that would hurt if the 
    yo-yo returns fast to my hand (or if it gets a knot and when thrown it comes back really hard).

3. What response do you prefer? (Silicone, O-Ring, Hybrid, Pad, etc)

I really like silicone, I like the flowable silicone response for it's low level of responsiveness

and for it’s long lifespan.

4. Do you like to mod/maintain it?

Seriously, after spending $120 dollars on a yo-yo I wouldn't dream of moding it, I would 
    only add a concave bearing.

5. Does color matter?

$120 dollars… an awesome paint job would be nice.

6. How does your style relate to the yoyo? (What kind of tricks do you like to do?)

I like to try out new things, if I could get a yo-yo with hubstacks then that would be nice.

7. What is your price range?

Like I said before, up to about $130 dollars, depending on the yo-yo.

8. What is your skill level?

I can actually do Short Round and And Wut most of the time using a speed maker with a 
    concave bearing, I can also do Kamikaze very decently. I would say Advanced (Although if 
    judging by Samad’s competition, the Basic).

(Mark) #2

For a yoyo that would “hug your palm” and is about the diameter of a Speed Maker, there is the DNA. Its much wider (+.25 inches) and is only .06 inches off in diameter. From what I’ve heard, this yoyo does “hug your palm”. The DNA has a pretty cool laser engraving and has hubstacks. The response is K-pads but Im sure you can use flowable silicone. This is the yoyo I think best fits what you are asking for.

Actually the DNA is too light for my likings.

It seems like an 888 (or I suppose, a DNA if you’d prefer something full-sized) might be good for you. It has a nice, wide, round shape, but it also has a smaller diameter than your Speed Maker, though.

m1

I am going with the others, and am gonna say the 888.

Try to get a radioactive spill on black. They’re launching tonight, and look soooo cool.

(Mark) #7

Well, Samad… they have the yellow splash here. I think thats the radioactive spill one. And if you like the Speed Maker diameter, how about the Meteor?

well realy i think you think you want more all metal yoyos are real good well it also depends but i would say its realy only something you can pick cause you may not be pleased with our pick :-\

DNA

well, to me,
the 888 might be too small to actually HUG ur hands
i would go with a superstar, stick a kk in it and it will play like a dream
im not sure about the pointy parts tho, got hit before, it didnt really hurt that much :stuck_out_tongue:

it’s very worth it for 120, and DONT i repeat DONT get the camo edition, because the paint job scratches off if you do inner thumb grinds on it
but on the other hand, if ur not a big fan of thumb grinds, go with the camo cuz it still grinds really well on the out side, and its just SO PWETTY

My brother just ordered the new 888, I will try it out when it arrives.

Do you know if the long tip/Z-stack kit fits the 888? Also, does the 888 take flowable silicone?

I think it can fit, but because it isnt designed for the 888, it will cause serious vibe/wobble on most occasions.

Also, yes - It can and will take flowable silicone.

The 888 and DNA are both great choices. I’d also consider a Superstar. It does have the increased rim size, but it is pretty rounded and it is heavier than the 888 or DNA. If I were you I would go with and 888 or a Superstar.