A little help

How do you take off the caps of a FHZ?

Unscrew the yo-yo and remove the bearing and spacers. We’ll remove the the cap from the side with the axle first. Hold that side by the rim with the axle facing away from your hand. Now, slam the axle into a semi hard surface. I like a hardwood floor with a dense rug over it. Don’t worry about being gentle. It is worse to gently press down on the axle than to give it a good hard whack. Take the axle out of that half; screw the axle into the non axle half; and give it the same slam.

1 Like

wow. was wondering myself.

1 Like

quick question: why is it bad to be gentle with it? I usually put the alxe on a hard surface and push hard til it pops. Seems to work fine, but if it’s not good for the yoyo I’d like to know. :o Thanks

woops accedently pressed thank you mark ;D
and thanks I got it out :wink:

Why? Because, it is more likely to crack the caps. It puts more stress on the cap itself. If you have a heavy pallet on a floor, are you going to push as gently as you can or give it a good hard first push to get it moving? It’s the same thing with FHZ caps. You want to break the static friction of the caps in the yo-yo. As our pallet analogy shows a hard shove breaks static friction much better than a gentle push. What does that mean? Simply put, it means that you are putting less stress on the caps and therefore are less likely to crack or break them.

1 Like

Thanks. Makes sense. Takes me back to my mechanics of solids class in college. I should have figured that out myself.

You know mrcnja, that was the best explanation I have ever heard for that. Kudos to you.

1 Like

Aww, thanks.