a good beginner 5a yoyo

I trying to do 5a a need a beginner yoyo because this would be my first time.Any suggestioins?

take a 1a yoyo, put a counterweight on it.

1 Like

Depends on how you want to approach this. For now, I’ll just stick with pre-packaged sets.

First, there’s the Freehand Zero(FHZ). It comes with 3 counterweights: bouncy ball, dice, head.
Ahother option might by the Flying Squirrel, which also comes with a squirrel head counterweight.
The Freakhand and FH2(same thing) come with a dice. I have a FH2 and the complete Freakhand set and got my boy a blue Freakhand since he wants to do 5A(he’s 5 and a half) and he’s DOING IT.
Duncan also has the Throw Monkey.
The YYJ Pinnacle is nice too, that’s what I’m playing.

Most of these options are under $20 and depending on sales, might be around $10 or so. The Duncans tend to be responsive, so typical simple mods are required like clean the bearing and remove a sticker.

Great, now I’m on the hunt for a Throw Monkey and maybe a Flying Squirrel.(and maybe a flying Panda too! but that’s an undersized 4A)

I started learning on a Pinnacle, but quickly moved onto using my DM2 once I’d found a new YoYo for 1A. Freehand 2s and Freehand Zeros are also popular beginner 5a YoYos but I’ve never owned either.

I can vouch for the YoYoJam Pinnacle though, it’s incredibly durable! It’s a great choice since you’re going to be hitting a lot of stuff with your YoYo when you start out. :stuck_out_tongue:

Store links:
YoYoJam Pinnacle

Duncan Freehand Zero

Duncan Freehand 2

PSG or Asteroid.

I’d recommend a Metal Drifter. I feel like they are a step above from the previously mentioned Duncan’s. Just buy new pads for it(dif-pads, silicone stickers, etc.,) that are less responsive and play it like that. It will be unresponsive after about an hour because the bearing will have broken in. I love the metal drifter, even for 1A it’s my favorite $20 at the moment

1 Like

id say get a yyj destiny

1 Like

i bought a dice counterweight and put it on my yomega maverick! perfect for freehand learners (like me)

A little pricey for a beginner 5a YoYo don’t you think?

I started 5a on a metal drifter with dif pads and kk bearing and I swapped out the skull weight for a die. Worked great for me.

I would highly recommend starting out with a Freehand Zero. It doesn’t really matter which counterweight you use, each of the CWs that come with it work great. I would encourage you to learn the basic skills of 5A on a responsive setup as it will help to smooth out your style in the future. Once you feel comfortable with the basics, you can then adjust the FHZ to be unresponsive.

-Nick

Just pick a beginner 1a yoyo then ad a counter weight on the end of the string.

My setup is the Adegle Asteroid with an eraser counterweight. I poked a hole through a square eraser and then tied thmit onto the string. This way, I won’t ding the yoyo, or hurt anybody or anything around me.

That should help you with correcting mistakes!

That was a good idea! Wish I’d thought of that.

That was funny. Gave me a good chuckle.