A Fluchs Meets Its Crucial Ending!

I got a Fluchs in on trade recently, and decided I wanted to do something a little different. I decided I wanted to take the Anti-Yo bearing seat and update it to a more modern bearing seat. I took a Born Crucial SPR and cut it down to .050" thick. The Fluchs’ walls aren’t thick enough to just drop in the SPR. What I was left with was just the bearing seat, which is what I was after anyway:

I then recessed the Fluchs to accept the new bearing seat:

Here is the new bearing seat in place:

Now the only problem was that the stock axle wouldn’t fit through the center of the Born Crucial spacer. So, I got out some ‘thread repair’ inserts I had gotten from MSC Direct. I had to tap the yoyo to 1/4-28 to accept the insert. Afterwards, the insert would then accept an 8-32 axle:

Voila! After doing this process on both halves, I coated the backs of the bearing seat/SPR with JB Weld, and screwed everything together to press fit and allow everything to dry. Once the JB Weld has set up, I will cut a silicone recess in the Fluchs.

UPDATE 5/25/10

I finished the mod off tonight by silicone recessing it and adding a couple of shmoove rings. I call it “A Fluchs Meets Its Crucial Ending”!

UPDATE 5/27/10

Got everything back together and had a chance to play it some. Unfortunately it isn’t butter smooth. It is smoother than it started out IMO. So I guess all this work wasn’t in vain. I also prefer the silicone response to the flush pad response. Here is a better pic of the guts.

1 Like

That looks really nice.

Off topic, I know you use a Taig and I see you are tapping on it. What is your method for holding the tap? I ask because I have zero experience in tapping but all my research says that almost all taps have a square end on them. Something that would make it difficult/impossible to hold it in the tail stock.

1 Like

They do have a square end, but a little farther up the taps are round. I just use a regular drill chuck to hold it in place.

1 Like

UPDATE 5/25/10

I finished the mod off tonight by silicone recessing it and adding a couple of shmoove rings. I call it “A Fluchs Meets Its Crucial Ending”!

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i120/Ricerocket00/Yo-Yos/IMAG0049.jpg http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i120/Ricerocket00/Yo-Yos/IMAG0050.jpg

SWEET MOTHER OF MINNIE PEARL!!!

Looks really cool.

1 Like

lolwhut

Very nice ricerocket.

1 Like

UPDATE 5/27/10

Got everything back together and had a chance to play it some. Unfortunately it isn’t butter smooth. It is smoother than it started out IMO. So I guess all this work wasn’t in vain. I also prefer the silicone response to the flush pad response. Here is a better pic of the guts.

And putting it up for sale or trade! I really wanted to do this mod just to see if I could do it. I have been eyeing my stock Bape and wanted to do something to it, so I figured I would ‘practice’ on the Fluchs before cutting into my Bape!

It’s a good thing your not compulsive modder.