7075 Catalyst Out

What sort of modifications do you make for 7075? I know titanium allows for super thin walls, what are the advantages of this alloy?

Back on-topic;

I have acquired 7075 Catalyst and I love it. I will qualify by saying that I already thought that the Catalyst was the best of the YYF line, so changing it in any way is messing with success. That said, I was most impressed with how “Catalysty” it plays even with a different material. Whatever tweaks were made certainly kept it true to the original which is already a winner.

The contrast is much like the OneDrop Code2 and the Code2 GZR. The material really does not affect the play of the throw so much. The weight and the dynamics are much the same. It just has a bit more “oomph” due to the increased density of the 7075. Since I am not the best yoyo-er around, it helps me get in a few more tricks (or attempts at tricks…) in before I have to regenerate.

advantages:
less threads required. Can make pretty flat post less body that still allows half spec to be used.

shines! not really appreciated by everyone buy to a segment of our customer base this is nice.

denser material. walls can be thinner, less bulk needed to put the weight where you want it. specifically, the outside profile is unchanged so everything has happened on the inside. some center mass moved out the outer edge thinned up. its all splitting hairs but i guess it allows you to achieve your vision in design a little bit more pure.

durability. stronger post, keeps precision better for longer, scratches are not as deep in the metal.

most importantly it has the ‘je ne sais quoi’. When we first started doing 7075 888s people told us ‘no the 6061 has it’. now people are gaga for the cold hard feel of 7075. Often we prototype in both, play around with things and if we hit the feel in 6061 we might make it in 6061 if we hit the feel we want in 7075 thats the way it might go. With Catalyst we wanted a performance, proven design and competitive price. The 7075 was made with less concern about price and a look and feel in mind. Performance was almost secondary but in the end i think thats what has benefitted the most.

We have been making 7075 yoyos for so long without people even caring it is a little bit peculiar the level of interest in it is so high all of a sudden.

Thanks for the list of advantages, I was curious about your take on it.

As for the increase in interest I think it is probably due to the increase in Japanese throws in the market. Most of the Japanese companies use the same alloy. I would hazard to guess that quite a few people equate higher cost with higher quality and have inspected every aspect of the new yo-yos coming out of Japan to see what is accounting for the price and performance… alloy choice being one of those factors.

This is why: YoYoRecreation.

EDIT: saintrobyn beat me to it

Personally I love mine. I love the shine/polish. I know the surface isn’t as grind-able per-sey, but honestly who cares? I have longed for a splash/polish yoyo that shined like this. Playing with this baby out in the sun melts my eyes. It’s wonderful.

Big thanks to YYF for this throw.