5A Yo-yos

What would you look for in a yo-yo for 5A as opposed to one for 1A? What makes some yo-yos better than others for 5A play? I would add more substance to this question, but I honestly have no idea.

I’ve wondered this myself. I have a very vague idea, but not enough to articulate to someone who needs help on the subject, being almost exclusively a 1A player myself. I’m very interested in the answers that will come for this thread.

Most people just choose their fav. 1a yoyo to 5a with. I prefer, a wider floatier yoyo with irPads.

I find that I prefer small bearing yoyos for 5A myself.
As well as non H shape yoyos, although for that, I don’t exactly know why.
Preferences.

Same here. I usually prefer A and D bearing yoyos for 5a. And stuff with narrower gaps.

I use a StarLite, since I’m just beginning.

But, the reason for me is:

1. Nice, wide profile
  2. GITD
  3. Cheap
  4. Nice Spin Times

IMO, until you get good, I’d use a YYF plastic or YYJ BiMetal.

That’s just my 2 cents.

I’d go with a YYJ plastic over a YYJ bi-metal for learning 5a - the full plastics have a better record for durability.

For me a lot of rim weight so it doesnt tilt as easy like my genesis

If I plan on doing freegens, it pretty much has to be a Kickside. It’s the right confluence of variables (of which there are many) to allow freegens as I do them with relative ease.

If not, anything suitable for 1A is equally suitable for 5A.

right now using a starlite and an aoda flying shuttle

I’d like to use an addiction but I only have one and it’s amongst my main 1A throws so I’ll probably have to get another one.

1 Like

I use the superstar, genesis, and legacy

I like stability, good spin times and tight binds

OK, that all was pretty much what I was expecting to hear (read?). What I was really wondering (not sure if this is applicable to the OP) is why certain yo-yos are known to be “more suitable for 5A” than others. As an example, when the Genesis first came out, before it’s huge spike in popularity amongst the YYF contest team (and subsequently the majority of the rest of the yo-yoing community), it was known almost exclusively as “a great 5A yo-yo,” with little-to-no mention of basically anyone even using it for 1A. That’s where my questions lie.

I prefer very stable yoyos, wide is also a positive thing.
When I first started out in 5A, small bearing and small gaps worked better now, what I gained from those doesn’t help me so I focus on finding wide, and stable yoyos. When I say stable I mean they hold what every tilt that have very well.
Like what I use now 09’ Severe.

I like using my G5 because it is very stable. But it is also very thin so it is difficult to do stalls on. I started on the Legacy, then Protostar (My recommendation for beginners), then G5.

I Find that the YYF NorthStar is Really Good for 5A. Especially Since you are Starting Out. But if you dont want to spend $35 on a 5A YoYo, then the Starlite is also Pretty Good for 5A. When and If you get Really Good at 5A, I would Reccomend the YYF G5, Because the Shape just Makes it Perfect for that Purpose in my Opinion. Also the Z-Stacks are Pretty Cool while playing 5A because you can hold the YoYo while Swinging the Counter Weight Around, Its Pretty Fun. :wink:

I’m not much of a 5A player but my weapons of choice would have to be:
FHZ
FH2
KickSide
Glow Die-Nasty

The Spyy Pure series was designed specifically for 5a.

I myself enjoy:
Pures
Onedrops
Siliconed Zeros

I barely ever play 5A, but I personally like round shaped yoyos compared to H shaped. IDK why, but I just like them better. Also, I loved using my MMZ for 5A.

What I like for 5A is something that’s light, full sized, large bearing, but lots of rim weight. Just like the Genesis, so it plays light, but feels heavy. Perfect for me IMO. I also really like the Severe (1,2) and also the Supernova kind of shape for 5A.