5A May? What will it look like?

What will 5A-May Look Like? What would you like to see from a 5A-May Event?

The Yoyo Boomer Club just finished facilitating Fixed Axle February and Modern Responsive March. Successfully I think, especially on the short notice when we decided to take it on.

We are entertaining supporting the 5A Movement and utilizing our platform to AID 5A May. We currently have 3 sponsors interested is supporting.

We are reaching out to the community to give Ideas of “How you would like to see the event go?”.

We are also seeking Volunteers to Aid in the event.

Please post your Ideas here?
If you are willing to Aid, let us know. This may be videographers for tricks/tutorials, developers of trick ladders, judges if a contest is decided, etc.

Please reach out to YoYoBoomerClub if you would like to sponsor/support the 5A May Event in any way.

Thank You.
Cody

7 Likes

All I know is that I certainly plan to participate this year :sunglasses: Will PM to see if I can help in other ways.

4 Likes

I could do something in the video / tutorial department probably.

5 Likes

Is it going to be responsive or unresponsive 5A?

I ask because ive been using a freehand to start responsive, but i actually hate trying to stall it. It just falls off the string most of the time. So ive been struggling to find a yoyo i like for responsive 5A :cry:.

Unresponsive im set tho!

1 Like

You can pop the caps off to drop the weight a bit and it makes stalling better but still not great.

What else have you got for responsives?

Also FWIW 5A May has recently either been unresponsive or whichever, but not strictly responsive.

2 Likes

I’d throw in one of these if you guys need more prizes.

13 Likes

Anything from Spinworthy should make you very happy.
There are tricks I can now land on an imperial that would have been a pain to learn on any other responsive I’ve thrown, like a noticeable change in my learning curve. I now have three SWs and I’m eagerly awaiting the arrival of number four.

1 Like

Both but probably will be more unres to be honest. Just what the community leans towards more.

1 Like

I like the setup for 2April. Less labor intensive than FAF and MRM in terms of cranking out weekly videos and stuff.

Kinda a 1 month free for all works, probably would work for 5A too.

2 Likes

I think 5A folks are super chill and the antibanger approach of yall show us something cool was solid and easy to manage but idk im just the idea guy.

Antibanger was fun too!

1 Like

Thinking out loud;

Week 1 is Post a 5A Tutorial week. Entry for submitting a Tutorial.

Then define trick lists off user-supplied tutorials. If we use their tutorial in a week’s trick ladder, they get an additional entry.

Entry for 1 to 2 minute Freestyle.

1 Like

What does volunteering include because I love 5a

1 Like

Last year I just opted to post a beginner and an advanced tutorial every week. It worked out pretty well. You can see an example of how that went linked.

I feel like it’d make more sense to just pick out all the tutorials you want to use ahead of time, instead of having a week dedicated to just linking videos. With only four weeks in the month, may as well make the most of it by encouraging people to post tricks (or at least play) all four weeks.

It’d also be useful if you want to have weeks act as a progression of skills, where following weeks would be more difficult variations or extensions of tricks learned on prior weeks. If you’re just choosing from a grab bag of tricks instead of deliberately ordering them you might end up with an awkward sequence of learning a harder version of something first that would’ve been significantly easier with prerequisite trick knowledge.

5A consistency is kind of a pain and 1-2 minute freestyle is not appealing at all to me. I’ve got a fairly deep trick library, but I’m the type of player who always wants to do new things or record whatever. Grinding a clean take of a freestyle that isn’t going to be judged in a competitive environment seems really unfun to me. Recording single individual tricks and making multiple posts is much more pleasant. Just learning and posting individual tricks is more than enough considering it’s hard to get people to post tricks at all sometimes. Getting people to plan and film a freestyle even harder.

9 Likes

Ms. Mable,

This is exactly “Why” I posted this thread. I am trying to get the “Voice of the Community”.

As far as Trick Ladder/Progression; What you described is how we intended to set up FAF and MRM. First week/s was an intro to basic elements. By the end of the Events, it was using those elements for harder tricks.

We really tried to have a Beginner, Intermediate and Advanced trick each week. Our Idea is “Something” for everyone.

Would you be willing to help us out with a Trick List/Progression concept? Are you open to allowing us to utilize your videos?

We are leaning towards a more Organic option also. Trying not to paint anyone in a corner. But allowing (and Crediting) users to post whatever they want.

Thank you for chiming in.

7 Likes

I guess my question would be; How “Can” you help? What are you comfortable with?

There is a lot that has gone into posting these previous events;
Thread Writing, Thread Posting, Script Writing, Videography, Video Editing, Sponsor Communication, Social Media Posting, People Organizing, Schedule Management…

There are a lot of areas people can volunteer and help.

1 Like

this is my answer as well. We are all just volunteers if you see a gap fill it. if you think you can add something then let’s get you slotted in. if you have a talent that can duplicate someone else then cool, we can have redundancy in a role. none of us get paid so the more hands the less overall work each person has to put in which makes this more sustainable.

Call out something your good at and let’s get something going.

1 Like

Maybe something for beginners like:

Week 1:
Windmill
Basic Stall

Week 2:
Double or Nothing
Aerial 360
Helicopter

Week 3:
Electric fan
Meltdown
Reverse bee sting

Week 4:
Rebounds
Bee sting
Tangler

For intermediate it’s just kinda whatever, I think with these as building block tutorials if people already know all this stuff (and are comfortable with it) then any intermediate tutorials are gonna be fine. Miggy, Quoc Anh, Jihoo Lee, Shigehiro Yamada and some other people all have a good selection of intermediate trick tutorials.

I think Bever’s tutorials are really good though for that early intermediate level player. I linked one of them in the TaW thread.

Advanced is sorta tricky because there aren’t really many advanced 5A tutorials period. 5A becomes a style very quickly where you just have to learn from watching other people play and copying what they do, or just making up your own tricks.

The tutorials from the TaW thread last year and that whole intro post is still relevant, if you’d wanna copy and repost that verbatim. I wouldn’t mind at all.

Beginner trick order kinda open to interpretation though. And it’s sort of awkward because unlike 1A tutorials where there’s a lot of “here’s a combo” copy this as you see it, 5A tutorials are mostly singular elements or concepts that you’re then supposed to figure out what to do with. Things like efans/rebounds/bee stings as tutorials are kinda weird because you can’t learn a combo that includes them without knowing how to do them prior. And you’re not really gonna see people doing them in their most basic form, you’re gonna see people doing harder/unique variations of them.

It feels like with 5A people have a lot more unique combos at the beginner/intermediate level, as opposed to just autopiloting a combo explicitly learned from a tutorial. It’s kinda cool in that regard, but also makes linking tutorials feel kinda weird when directly compared to 1A. Because it feels like people kinda struggle in 5A to figure out how to actually put it all together after they learn all the essentials I listed out earlier. They know the tricks but can’t figure out how to really transition between them or come up with their own sequencing/variations.

I’m rambling now though, hopefully some of this is helpful for figuring out what y’all wanna do.

9 Likes

Excited for 5amay! A quick note and self promotion that I also have a whole series of 5A tutorials that are approached from a mindset of gradual building of concepts that are necessary for starting out. Coming from my background of over 15 years of freehand play, I put extensive input of what I’ve picked up over the years so hopefully some can find it helpful!

I’m also planning to release a few more tutorials that are long overdue at the start of May as well so be on the lookout!

5̶͎̲̺̜͖̘̬͖̙̹̤͙̹͓̉̑̽̏̋̈͆̅ ̸͙̜̓̈̄͑̀͊͋̍̈̀̀̈́A̶̞̟̖̻̩͕͋͗̍͂̓̎́̆̉̽̐̅̚̚̚͠ ̵͕̉͆͑̃̊͒̇͛̍̍̓͌̎̾̒̈́̋̌̍͛̕͜

11 Likes