5A May/5A talk

@bjardin has videos on the Nextgen inner workings

1 Like

Has anyone else noticed that Duncan counterweight dice are numbered in a non-standard pattern?

Instead of 6/1, 5/2, 4/3–where opposing sides add up to seven—they are 6/1, 5/3, 4/2.

My guess is this is on purpose, maybe to provide an indentation in the middle of the 5/3 sides to help “guide” the drill?

3 Likes

Yeah, the incorrect pips have bothered me since the early 2000s. I think they were introduced on the Freehand 2 when they started injection molding dice instead of drilling them.

Interestingly, they were correctly marked on the dice that came with the original Freehands and Freehand mini.

2 Likes

Japan Technology has some great 5A Tutorials on the Instagram that are just creative and simple concepts not covered elsewhere.

4 Likes

Wow, that really makes me want to try!
I’m not sure I’m good enough with 1A to be able to do something good with 5A, but some tricks are definitely appealing!
I may try to find a counterweight for my YYF One…

4 Likes

YYE got some great B-grades

2 Likes

Ugh, I really don’t like my One…
I set it as “unresponsive” with a full spec bearing, and attached a 12g nut to the string.
But I can barely make it spin long enough for a double or nothing…

I have better results with my Sugar Glider, but it definitely falls down on the ground on mistakes :scream:

So I’ll be patient and wait until I buy a good enough “I don’t care for it”/plastic yoyo :sleeping: … with a “real” counterweight.
Not this May though.

1 Like

Guys my 5A finally looks like 5A

7 Likes

I should have ordered my 5a earlier… it will probably come with 7-5 days left in may. Rip 5a may for me…

2 Likes

For the final day of 5A May, I finished this guy:

It vibes pretty badly with the performance rings installed. One ring isn’t quite as snug as the other, and maybe that creates an imbalance somehow? I don’t know. In general I find Freehand yoyos to be a bit hit or miss in terms of smoothness and overall quality.

5 Likes

3 Likes