5A May/5A talk

so it’s 5A May so that means its time to whip out the counter wights, drop some throws, and bust our knuckles. feel free to post videos for beginners and/or 5A videos to hype others up.

(i think that this is the first 5a thread that has been made recently but if it is not then it can be moved to another thread)

the Duncan freehand pro is the best beginner throw for 5A

counter wights available at YoYoExpert

9 Likes

Dylan makes some really cool 5A videos

8 Likes

my current 5a set up

favorite 5a freestyle of all time

5 Likes

Now that is playing with the counterweight

3 Likes

lol the freehand pro is definitely not the best beginner 5A yoyo, I would say Variant or Speedaholic bc they are wider

3 Likes

There’s these going on too:

https://forums.yoyoexpert.com/t/every-5a-tutorial-source-on-the-internet/319313/2

https://forums.yoyoexpert.com/t/5a-trick-thread/319215/6

3 Likes

I never tried ether of these throws but I don’t disagree with you, but I really like the free hand pro because one it comes with a CW 2nd the CW is perfect with the freehand pro

3 Likes

Jon rob has the best 5a style, and once i learn some more tricks im gonna try and emulate that.

Heres a video for reference. https://youtu.be/16GgQP-OoKY

TRIGGER WARNING: 400$ yoyo being used over paved roads lol.

5 Likes

He’s got a great style. That throw looks outrageous! It needs James Bond music😎

4 Likes

What 5a setups are people experimenting with?

5 Likes

Waist-high string, YYF Airwave, Dunk box, (string attached to wire handles)

6 Likes

Played with my Hotdiggity and yotricks counterweight over brick for like a half hour yesterday. Missed a few catches and got some battle damage. Still smooth fortunately. I forgot how fun 5A is, and now that im a lot better at 1A since i last played, im experimenting with tricks i never would’ve thought of. I might look into tutorials soon to see what the standard tricks actually consist of instead of just making stuff up, lol

5 Likes

I found that the PSLTC and the candy dice work very well together, also the silenus and the ultra wight work great

3 Likes

Got this in a trade Saturday night. My 2nd OneDrop.
Yelets with a concave bearing, green spike SE’s, Duncan rapidball, and my own brand of strings in size12(fats)

This little dragons gonna help me with my precision this month. Narrow catch zone with high walls, my new 5a friend.

4 Likes

Ive been using a reticulated atra and a duncan monkey lol. The atra is very good for someone newer to 5a like me because of its stability and weight.

4 Likes

So does the (metal) axle in a Freehand NextGen screw into the (plastic) body?

3 Likes

I’ll give a good look in a bit. Not near one now. I thought I read that part of the redesign for it was aimed at the axle system to help prevent damaging it by overtightening.

A wedge, a molded hot glue counterweight, and random string

Yes it does. The nut and bolt system has been replaced with a standard axle that screws into metal fixtures in embedded in the plastic body. I’m not wanton to pop my caps off but they are transparent enough to see the inside.

Gotta look beyond the logos.

I took the caps off mine but can’t see anything inside that looks unambiguously like metal. But I’ll take your word for it.

How does this system prevent over-tightening?