5a is free!

I’m hopeful that this will bring new Innovation to 5A and counterweight use in general. Now that other companies are free to explore a new product line, it puts a lot more minds to work to, hopefully, discover what else is possible.

Being so skeptical at such a welcome occasion with such potential, will not really do much to expand your popularity.

Maybe it will. But I’d really be surprised if it did.

Only time will tell I guess😉

2 Likes

Obviously I should have posted that under Unpopular Opinions. :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

I will give you just a few examples at what a Pain in the Posterior the patent was.

Years ago, Takeshi Massurra was on Team Yoyojam. He was pretty much developing into the 5A player to beat.

Takeshis’ father is a Machinist. Takeshi and his Dad travelled over to Florida to spend some quality time with Dale Bell at his Factory. Mr. Matsurra was a consultant for his son. And they worked with Dale on his Signature 5A yoyo. They came up with a pretty sweet design… and then nothing good happened.

Dale made Takeshi some counterweights to obviously go with his Signature 5A yoyos.

(Below this statement; what I say is my view and is not etched in the Bible-anybody that knows more accurate information is welcome to disagree with me and present a more factual view)

From what I heard, Duncan was not thrilled in the least. Because Takeshi was on Yoyojam and he wanted to perform with Duncan Patented equipment. Duncan basically played the ‘protect our patented interests Bully. And Dale got pissed and said screw it. I’m not getting an ulcer sword fighting with Duncan.

Here is another 5A adventure to wrap your logical heads around>

A good story at least as I understand what happened

Yoyofactory was doing a Superb, Top Shelf job of promoting 5A Worldwide. And it wasn’t costing Duncan a thing since Yoyofactory was not even making or selling ‘Counterweights’.

Yoyofactory launched a 5A May Program. They had Tyler Severance and Miggy on the Team(literally the face of 5A at the time).

Yoyofactory was promoting the exciting style and Duncan should have been happy selling their 5A yoyo setups.

But it’s funny how greed and selfishness gets in the way of logic in Business. 5A was new and exciting and had the flow to keep yoyo interest going… for everybody. Even Duncan. Ya think?

WRONG! Duncan sent Yoyofactory a Cease and Desist letter. Stating that they were not allowed to ‘Promote the Patented 5A Style’.

The Promoters of Nationals and Worlds refused to delete the 5A division from the Contests.
So basically you had 4 divisions that were wide open. And then you had the Patented 5A Duncan division. Where anything was ok, as long as Duncan said so… Duncan figured they would win the division and promote their equipment.

That obviously backfired on Duncan, considering Tyler and Miggy were the ones wearing the Steel Toed Boots in 5A at the time. So Yoyofactory players were winning the 5A titles.

I fully understand the idea of protecting your Patent. But a smarter Duncan would have recognized that Yoyofactory was ‘Promoting yoyo play’ and it wasn’t costing Duncan a thing. They could have worked something out and just counted the cash. They offered a Royalty rate to Yoyofactory. And if it wasn’t more than the cost of a yoyo; something magic may have happened.

Duncan’s’ compulsion to control the patent was an outright failure. I don’t have to prove it.

History proved it for me.

And now it’s a New day. And a New chance for 5A to step out into the free zone. Now that Everybody has a ‘Free Hand’ to flex…

17 Likes

Duncan did however license the ultraweight for yyt (I’m pretty sure). Did they start to have a change of heart?
THAT company with tricks for yo

2 Likes

You mean YoTricks lol? They did license it, but I’m sure they did it for a pretty high price. I specifically remember someone talking about trying to get Duncans permission for a cw but the price being exorbitantly high. If someone could correct me on that I’d be thankful.

4 Likes

but yotricks sold their atlas and canon yoyos with ttheir own delrin 25$ conterweight

1 Like

they had to pay duncan with permission to be able to.

3 Likes

ok got it

1 Like

Cash present can change ones heart.:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

To celebrate, I will play my Higby painted Duncan Freehand Zero.

8 Likes

That’s so clutch.

1 Like

I think I will throw around the same rig that Yoyojam made for Takeshi Matsurra many years ago.

Dale actually made up the die with a bearing and the bead on the string so the die could move around on the string(as per Takeshis’ specs.)

The yo-yo is called ‘Destiny’… So I guess it was destiny that I would eventually use it, lol.

8 Likes

where have i seen that :thinking:

1 Like

Sick yoyo @French

Thank you. John Higby does phenomenal artwork

2 Likes