5A counterweight size

Good day everyone! I’m looking into trying out 5A and wanted to try out making a counterweight. I’m sure sizes vary a little but what general size should I be shooting for? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

1 Like

Anything in the 20-30mm cube range is pretty standard. Just personal preference.

2 Likes

I use d20 dice but I find the standard chessex size to be a bit too small. Magic the gathering Spindown counters are what I settled on.

Just draw a line around one with a sharpie as a guide line and just file a groove.

5 Likes

You can make a CW out of anything my friend so long as it’s not too light nor too heavy. Typical CWs sold in stores are like 9-11 grams and 20-30ish mm, so anywhere around there is gonna be ideal. I’ve used a toy Tommy gun as a CW before (not recommended)

4 Likes

Haha nice! Thanks for the advice/warning!

1 Like

I will add a cautionary note bc I too tried the d20 and I like it now, but it was rough just starting out on that bc it freaking hurts when you clap your knuckles hard with it. Bouncy balls work also and are less painful but use whatever you can to try it and you’ll go oh this is super fun.

4 Likes

Weight is more important than size. Around 11-12g is ideal for me, dependent on yoyo being used. I saw a % ratio one time but can’t remember it now. Much lower than 11g starts to have balance/performance issues against the yoyo for me.

2 Likes

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I’ll use the weight/ dimensions to make one. Very helpful thanks again!!

I’ll have to weigh it but the size looks close. I do custom leatherwork and used some scrap to make a stacked leather weight. It’s softer than hard plastic yet harder than rubber. It actually has some bounce to it.

9 Likes

8 Likes

Is this like stacked leather also? How did the other leather weight play? I would love a leather cw I think

1 Like

This is the same stacked leather weight as the first picture just dyed and at a different angle, and I burned a face into it

1 Like

Is this too much???

5 Likes

I have so little experience with counter weights that I’m going to send this to a friend and have him let me know what he thinks.

1 Like

Perfection. At first I thought that was a massive dice but I recognize that tiny yoyo.

2 Likes