5A Cherry Knot

Hey all,

I just wanted to share a 5A knot (I believe I came up with…?) that I have been using for the past few years to transfer from doing 5A to 1A without having to take the string off the yoyo, and is MUCH faster. This will shorten your string about 1in with the Counter Weight on, but for me I like a slightly shorter sting when doing 5A, as I feel I have better control. All in all, its nothing to much to throw off your game, and makes for easy transitions from different play styles!

Cherry Knot

Depending on what kind of CW you use, depends on if you have to do this first step. If you use a Duncan Ball (or any other small holed CW) you won’t have to do this, but as for Duncan Dice or any larger holed CW’s this is a must. The top string is a normal knot, the bottom is a normal knot with an added over hand knot to make it a little bigger. Duncan Balls and other small holes can use a regular sized knot, Duncan Dice and larger wholes have to double up on the knot size.

You want to fold the string, about 2 inches, by the knot.

Push the loop through the CW hole.

Take the knot and thread it through the loop at the other end.

Lightly pull the bottom string to cinch the knot.

Take a finger and place it over the knot and pull the bottom string to tighten everything down.
NOTE: If the knot gets pulled all the way through the CW you need to make the knot bigger; otherwise it might fly off the string during play.

And there you have it! The string will tighten around the knot, and will not slide through the CW, and leave it looking like a “Cherry!”

To remove and go back to 1A, just pull the “stem” of the “Cherry,” and slide off the CW!

This knot isnt for everyone, but I use it on all my throws so I can switch out Counter Weights lighting fast.

Cheers,

1 Like

Sick. Have to try this out.

This is actually a great idea. I’ll look into this next time I try some 5a

It’s just a faster way to switch between styles, and I thought I would share it! Those who try it out, let me know if you like it or not!

1 Like

Nice!

This. This made my year right now.

I remember this! Actually, a guy named jayyo posted this on here about a year ago. But, I’m not seeing nearly any members still active from back then, so thanks for posting!

I believe Jayyo’s (HaruRay now) was a different method, thats why I came up with this one after seeing that post because i didn’t like how it worked and didn’t fit me. If I remember right (and I probably don’t), his way was when you fold the string and put it through the CW, you then thread the whole CW through the loop. I remember I had issues with it coming undone during play and/or it would slip and rotate the CW into a different knot; but it is another very cool way to attach a CW too; giving reason to make my method!

Cheers,

Yes, his method involved making a slipknot once the whole string was put through the counterweight, and then putting the counterweight through the slipknot loop.

Both of these methods have potential for failure during play, but pretty much every method I’ve seen other than the normal one is pretty much like that. I’m going to have to keep using this method and see if I want to continue. All in all, super clever!

This is definitely how I’m going to be putting my counterweights on.

Very true; for my method you just need to make sure the finger knot is large enough to not be pulled through the CW whole. Other then that, this knot will not come undone during play due to the centrifugal force tightening itself down.

I want to hear from others, what you guys think! I see few 5a posts on here besides the basics and basic help questions. And here’s a question for thought: What is your favorite 5A set up? Do you only use 1 kind of CW and that’s it? Or do you just close your eyes and grab what you can and slap it on any old yoyo?

Cheers,

This method feels much more secure with a counterweight having a smaller hole, such as the duncan ball. Dice seem to be fine too, but I don’t throw dice practically at all, so that’s someone else’s testimony. From my end, all is swell.