5️⃣🅰️ May 2023

Does it matter if I always hold the cw with my pinky and ring or is it cool to like hold the string and have the cw outside my hand? basically in the adv. TaW the creator like never actually holds the cw, It’s like outside the hand all the time. I seen a ton of different ways people hold it too by different ppl in tutorials and I’m not sure if I should I try real hard for a good form way to hold it or if I can kind of just do it however is comfortable and switch all the time for tricks and be more loose w/ how I try to hold it? Pretty decent at catching it however it wants to return also like post bind.

2 Likes

If you watch pretty much any intermediate/advanced 5A player you’ll notice that they rarely catch the counterweight itself during tricks. They catch the string right next to the counterweight.

You should be able to catch the counterweight itself though for certain movements where it actually matters. But the majority of the time you’ll be catching the string.

Just make sure you’re doing it in a controlled manner. You don’t want excess string and the counterweight wrapping around your hand after the catch. If you look at 360/bee sting/whatever tutorials where people catch the counter weight itself, the point with that is more that you should be able to do those basic tricks in such a controlled way that the counterweight is always ending up in the same spot.

7 Likes

Okay sick that makes it easier and hard still but is good to know also I’m about to get the adv. taw before the other ones because I’m terrible at the e-fans and ok at rebounds but they both need way way way more work on my part to get the mechanics locked-in like no way around it but practice until it feels less awkward like I get what I need to do. I’m just lacking in the skill to make it happen…If I have the e-fan going and I try to start doing stuff with my other hand, I mess up the swinging plane clunk it…pretty sure I just need to do it a lot more and there is no way to cheat ahead at that bah… Thank you Imma go play w it for a while and prolly end up working on the adv trick bc these efans making me frustrated

4 Likes

It takes practice and muscle memory built in the brain, you’ll get it! A good comparison might be like scratching your head and rubbing your belly at the same time, seems weird and impossible at first but after enough time it’s like okay yeah this is easy

4 Likes

@JeiCheetah just posted on his thread one of my fav 5A concepts so I wanna link this here. 5A spirals

5 Likes

Summer solstice has a ding that sliced some threads on my string…Anything to do besides just sand it down?

1 Like

You can press it down with the back of a spoon first.

4 Likes

This worked thank you!

2 Likes

another tower

9 Likes

Sorry no video. Perhaps I will mount a gopro cam to the bike and use that sometime. But I did practice a bit of 5A in the middle of some mountain biking today.

11 Likes

Looks like a nice area to throw and ride :hugs:

3 Likes

Neat transition from kamikaze

Trying to practice getting into tanglers with less hesitation, instead of having to pause and hyper focus on getting it started. I’m getting slightly more consistent, but my tanglers are still a bit ugly and I lose the proportions way more easily when I’m trying to rush it.

15 Likes

Heat treated ti dunk for 5a may… been having alot of fun with 5a and really grinding out practice in any free time

9 Likes

I haven’t played with a yoyo since forever :sob: I totally forgot that yoyos were a thing. I just opened this forum and see that it’s 5a may too. I should get back into this hobby, all those trickvideos look so cool

11 Likes

The kamikaze transition is very nice!

2 Likes

I really like the idea of using titanium for 5A but the noise it makes when the counterweight hits the yoyo is just terrible.

4 Likes

I’ve been using a grail, it’s super loud too. But by a mile, the loudest thing I’ve been using is a Daytona SE with the Ti counterweight that comes with the 000 54SE

1 Like

I love the sound of a counter weight hitting a ti yoyo. The rest of my household not so much.

5 Likes

You totally should come back. Miss seeing your cool tricks bro!

5 Likes

stole this slack from a Jake Bullock post the other day

16 Likes