4a Yoyo Won't Come Off of String After Bind

Hey, all! I’m sure this is probably discussed and answered elsewhere and as basic as 1+2=3, but I’ve been searching and for the life of me I can’t find it anywhere. Since I’m a total n00b, I’ll be the last one to blame equipment, so I have to assume I’m doing SOMETHING terribly wrong. Im using a Japan Technology Aire and most of the time when I bind it (and even about 10% of the time when I wind it), it won’t let go of the string on the next toss. I’m using it right out of the box with the included string (which seems to be about identical to KS Fat).

Granted, I’m new to throwing this, but I’m trying one-handed binds, two-handed binds and normal, basic winds… and it’s getting stuck on all three. Is there something I’m missing / need to do / need to do differently?

1 Like

I’d start by testing out thinner string, and making sure your binds are clean.
Whether you are winding the string to bind, or at the end of a trick, your Aire should fall straight off the string if you hold the yoyo out without a throw.

Side-note: gap widths tend to be a bit smaller on 4a throws, therefore things may behave different than what you’re used to :wink:

2 Likes

Thanks, Mark! I really appreciate your help. I’ve switched to an ever-so-slightly thinner string and lubed the bearing up a bit more and it seems to be playing much more consistently now. I’m playing indoor and at my skill level, it’s hard to get much speed without hitting the ceiling, so maybe low RPM is also a factor.

But the string change seems to have solved most of it. I can actually play consistently without banging my fingers and rewinding after every trick! Thanks again!!!

3 Likes