31 yr old - buying first throw

I myself am getting a gacek Ed. It looks really nice in my opinion. Good choice all around! I’m glad you were able to find one you really like! :slight_smile:

Thanks again folks! I feel really good about my order and it’s thanks to all you guys’ help.

UPDATE:
Well my package arrived! Here’s my first impressions…

1. The Classis is indeed an excellent throw! For all it lacks in looks and style it is more then making up for in performance. I find myself reaching for it routinely and I know I will be joining the ranks of people recommending it on these forums. Best $10 I ever spent yoyo wise.

2. I’m not liking the One as much. The gap is very narrow and it is undersized. It looks great and I like the comfy feel of it in my hand but the classic beats it hands down. I will probably upgrade the bearing (which was included in the package) to widen the gap.

3. The Puffin is great! I learned to bind it in about 5 mins and it is so stable and comfortable. Totally worth the price and lends a nice, nimble juxtapose to the rim weighted, heavier playing classic. All in all it diversified my burgeoning collection in a nice way and I love playing with it. Rumors of weak spins are only mildly justified in the sense that one has to lay into it slightly (SLIGHTLY, mind you) more in order to achieve a minute plus spin that a mere mortal can bind and get back to their hand. (Your mileage may vary.)
    At any rate it is hoppy and quick. There is no doubt in my mind why a technical player like Palli favors it.

Thanks again to all who helped me. Let me know if you’re ever down in Atlanta!

3 Likes

I’m sure I’m not alone in saying that I’m so glad you’re enjoying your new yoyos!

From this point on, all you’ve got to do is practice and change your string every couple of days. As time moves forward you’ll want to check out all the great tutorials on YoYoExpert and beyond. One thing to consider is that you absolutely do not have to learn tricks “in order”. Some tricks have common elements that are helpful to know beforehand, but that doesn’t mean you need to start at the top and end at the bottom.

My advice is that you start with something that makes you think, “WOW! I want to do that right now!”. That way your motivation will be more personal and less procedural.

2 Likes

I just wanted to support your new hobby even if you aren’t a 12 year old. I’m a upper 40’s year old dad who got into yoyoing with my two teenage sons over two years ago. At first it was mostly to have a common hobby with them but now I am hooked by myself. I find myself urging them to go to meets and contests! I work in a school setting so I am lucky enough to be able to throw all day at work and its considered quirky but cool and not unprofessional. :slight_smile:

When we first started I spent months laboring with a velocity, and finally, I upgraded to a protostar and suddenly I could do tricks that were impossible before. Later i picked up a totally beat up superstar at a contest and loved it. This is to say that you are doing the right thing by having more than one throw. With a classic and puffin you are set for a while but it strikes me that there is a big gap between those yoyos in quality and down the road I might suggest you pick up a few “beaters” on the bst to so you can carry them everywhere and continue your learning without worrying about keeping them pristine. If you don’t know what to get you could post a dollar amount on the bst and folks can offer stuff to you. Or pm me and I am happy to sell some of my favorite ‘well loved’ throws to you cheap.

Have fun! :slight_smile: