31 yr old - buying first throw

It sounds like you’ve got it down pat!

If I may, I’m going to recommend that you buy the Puffin as it seems to have gotten you excited about modern yoyoing and is a great metal yoyo for anyone and everyone, but I really think you should spend an extra $10-$15 on a plastic yoyo (the YoYoJam Classic is perfect).

My reasoning goes like this: the Puffin is an extremely high-precision instrument, as all high-end metal yoyos are. That isn’t to say it’ll be temperamental, but it likely isn’t going to be the type of yoyo you want to bang around or toss in your pocket when you leave the house. The YoYoJam Classic is exactly the type of yoyo you’ll want to bang around a toss in your pocket, so it is my advice that you pick one up as well.

All the modern tricks you’ll be wanting to learn require (as you well know) loads or practice and literally millions of mistakes. At some point, you’ll bash your yoyo into the ground/wall/window. I guarantee that, when it happens, you’ll want it to be the YoYoJam Classic and not your beautiful new Puffin.

I’m definitely not one for keeping yoyos in “mint condition” (the yoyo in my signature is my most prized), but pride of ownership will definitely kick in once you can feel the amount of work and dedication that goes into making a high-end metal yoyo in the palm of your hand. Trust me, the Classic will not only be a good (and cheap) investment in your modern yoyoing, but it’ll also give you the opportunity to hand a yoyo to anyone interested in trying it out without having to fear for your beautiful new Puffin.

Also if you plan to get another bearing I say pick up a yyf ONE
The Gacek edition comes with a free centertrak upgrade bearing
So you get the ONE with a stock slim bearing adn then you can use the centertrak on something else Especially if you consider the bearing is normally $11 and it’s coming free with a $10 yoyo

I think that this guy knows what he is talking about!

The Gacek One is actually a pretty good idea. My understanding is that the Classic outplays it a bit (though I’ve never played a One to compare), but for the need it’s going to fill (responsive play, banging around with a plastic to save wear and tear on a metal) it’s probably a brilliant choice.

Lol im the other way around, Ive played a One but never played a Classic… I need to get ONE someday, its a CLASSIC, im so PUNNY :smiley: anyways the ONE plays great for $10 and can hang with the $20-$30 throws

OK…so I’m all set on getting a YYJ Classic for a beater but now I’m not so sure about the Puffin.
It seems that there is a wide-spread option that it is overpriced for its performance and it doesn’t spin like the others in its price range. I like the parts I’m reading that say it is “comfortable” and “nimble” but not the weaker spin…Others are saying it doesn’t tolerate much in slop.

Should I be checking out some others???

Opinion overload.

I’ve played the Puffin a lot. It has a strong spin for its weight, is extremely stable, is comfortable and nimble, and DOES tolerate quite a bit of slop (that’s just a reiteration of the stable point).

Palli himself uses it in competition. He posted a video debunking the “weak spin” perspective. Anybody who thinks it doesn’t tolerate slop has to be one of the sloppiest players around!

It’s a great yoyo. But it’s not the only one! I threw that out there because you seemed to have an affinity for it. Trust me on this one thing: there is no such thing as a perfect yoyo. For somebody out there, the Puffin is the best $150 they ever spent on a yoyo. Somebody else sold it off a week after buying it. Ditto for almost any yoyo out there.

If you want the “it would be surprising if you didn’t like this” recommendation, though, it’s gotta be the Chief. It’s legendary as an all-arounder with some float and incredible stability. It’s also not as comfy and nimble as the Puffin . Your mileage may vary!

1 Like

I completely agree with GregP’s point.

There are great pools of praise and criticism for every yoyo out there, so don’t take anything too seriously when it comes to general reviews. Yoyo selection is all about personal preference. The Puffin seems like a yoyo that you can get really excited about, so I think it’ll make the perfect foray into high-end metal yoyos for you, not because of it’s performance, but because of your immediate draw towards it.

Trust me, the Puffin is a fantastic yoyo. Some people don’t like it, but many more love it (the same can be said for any yoyo out there). If you somehow happen to not enjoy it, have no fear! You can turn around and sell it on YoYoExpert’s lovely “Buy/Sell/Trade” section for only slightly less than you paid for it! Think of it as renting a movie, if you like!

If you’ve been sufficiently dissuaded by the few negative reviews out there, GregP’s suggestion of the Caribou Lodge Chief is a great one. The Chief is, by all standards, a crowd pleasing yoyo at it’s core. It does everything well and doesn’t fall short in any specific category. The Puffin certainly has more character, but the Chief can be considered a “safe bet” if you’re dead-set on CLYW.

I think the best thing you can take away from my little post is that yoyoing is all about what you like and how you can have the most fun. If the Puffin looks like something you can really enjoy, go for it! Every high-end metal yoyo being sold these days can perform well above and beyond the demands of your average player, so the only real factor the end-user needs to determine before making a purchase is what they like and dislike about different shapes, sizes, and weights. Since you don’t know your preferences yet, you’ve got to find a nice starting point to start forming opinions from. To me, the Puffin seems like an ideal place to start (and maybe finish if you really love it)!

The moral of the story? Play with what you think you’ll like! Have fun and don’t worry too much about the opinions of others (including my own)!

2 Likes

The best advice might not be the most practical advice, but I’m gonna throw this out there anyways:

Remember, we’re dealing with someone used to fixed axles, so he knows how to play and has beyond the basics down. We can therefore assume that he’s not going to beat up anything. While he isn’t doing unresponsive play, I bet he can get the bind down in 5 minutes and be killer at it in 15.

What should be done is find others in his area and see if there are clubs, meets or contests so he can get out, meet others and have the opportunity to try stuff. With that done, now it’s decision making time.

Too bad he’s not in Sacramento. I can share what I got and he’d go on an “yoyo model overload” going through my collection. With the variety I have, it would ensure a well rounded experience.

OK so here’s the order I got worked out:

1. Puffin (Palli edition)
  2. Kitty strings standard 100 pack (orange)
  3. v4m lube
  4. extra pair of snow tires (aqua)
  5. YYJ Classic
  6. YYJ silicon response
  7. YYJ speed bearing

Am I forgetting anything?

Not that I can see! I’m jealous of this order! :wink:

I think you are set. I hate to do this, but REALLY consider the one drop yelets instead of the puffin. It is about half the price, and is considered the successor to a literally legendary yoyo, the M1. I am going to quote a very respected reviewer (From Highspeedyoyo.com): “In the end it hits every box for me: great pocket feel, no compromises in play, excellent customizability, and inexpensive.” He does recommend that you get some heavier side effects for it if you are new. by the way, i am really just recommending, the puffin is a great choice too. They both are apparently awesome for tech style tricks. For half the price though…

I think you are set. I hate to do this, but REALLY consider the one drop yelets instead of the puffin. It is about half the price, and is considered the successor to a literally legendary yoyo, the M1. I am going to quote a very respected reviewer (From Highspeedyoyo.com): “In the end it hits every box for me: great pocket feel, no compromises in play, excellent customizability, and inexpensive.” He does recommend that you get some heavier side effects for it if you are new. by the way, i am really just recommending, the puffin is a great choice too. They both are apparently awesome for tech style tricks. For half the price though…
[/quote]
…Crap. ???

I personally love my puffin! No complaints.

I don’t think you could go wrong with either One Drop Yelets or a Puffin. I do like the ability to switch Side Effects on a yo-yo. I do recommend the Dark Magic. I still play with mine every day. I pulled the caps off and it looks way better. The nice thing is it comes with both bearings in the box. The Yoyojam classic is a good throw. I just don’t play with mine much anymore, ended up buying a second DMII for work. Gets a ton of action.

Other One Drops I’d recommend:

• Cascade
  • Burnside
  • Code 1,2

I wouldn’t fret too much… This will unlikely be your final Yo-yo purchase. :slight_smile:

There are a million choices out there. Or at least a few hundred. :wink: Yelets is apparently amazing for the price. If that’s the yoyo you started the thread with (“Hey, I like the look of the Yelets”), that’s the one I would continue recommending instead of the Puffin. I come back to the Puffin because you like Palli’s style. Seems like a no-brainer!

We all have our own ideas of what’s good “bang for the buck” (if that’s a factor for you; but if you’re willing to buy the Puffin it implies that budget isn’t your top priority), what’s “good at any price”, as well as what suits our preferences. You don’t have preferences yet, so buy any decent yoyoy that you like the looks of, and be done! Splashed Yelets are $100, which is a good price for a Side Effect yoyo.

But if you keep listening to people, you’ll be in “analysis paralysis” when the truth is that any of the yoyos mentioned will be fantastic. Just pick one you like.

Well I did it! Thanks so much to everyone for your help and time. I really appreciate everyone’s thoughts on this.

Here’s what happened:

1 CLYW Puffin Palli Edition (Black W/ Orange SPLASH)
2 CLYW ‘Snow Tires’ Silicone Response Aqua
1 Kitty String - 100 Count (Normal) Neon Orange
1 One Drop V4M Lube
1 YoYoJam Silicone
1 YYF ONE Gacek Edition (W/ Extra Center Trac Bearing)
1 Large YYJ Bearing (Size C)
1 YYJ Classic Solid Green

This was a lot of fun and let me single out GregP, nkessler, Studio 42, sparhawk, and Phil the lizard for sticking with me through this. (Thanks to everyone else as well!) You guys are great. :slight_smile:

Haha, awesome!

I love how you got the Classic AND the One! :wink:

“analysis paralysis”

:smiley: ;D :smiley:

That cracked me up… So true. So many choices.

Lonefrog615, you done good! :wink: Now to await the Mailman!

You’re going to have a blast when your order shows up!

I think you’ll be much happier having 3 fully-functioning modern yoyos instead of just one. Variety has always been the spice of life and that phrase applies itself to yoyoing more so than anything else I’ve encountered.

You’ve got literally everything you’ll need for the next 5 or 6 months of your yoyoing career. All you’ll have to do from this point forward is buy more string when you start running low and maybe buy more response pads if you find yourself wanting tighter binds in the future.

Although you’ve got everything you need, you’ll probably find that high-end yoyos never let you rest. Before you know it you’ll be drooling over every beautiful new release by CLYW and other top-tier brands! At that point, start checking out the Buy/Sell/Trade to save your wallet and your sanity some serious lumps!

1 Like

Amazing choices all around! The Gacek Edition ONE looks really nice!