2A Tuesdays ( a Looping Thread)

Ok ok i know i already posted but!…. John Highby posted a Facebook reel and I started working on breaking it down a few elements at a time.

5 Likes

A question for my fellow loopers. Is running shieldless bearings on a looper a silly idea?
My 720’s started feeling crazy. One was noisy and one wouldn’t sleep. I pulled the bearings to clean them and the shields fell right off the noisy one.
After a few attempts to clean the other one, I pulled the shields and found chunks of string in it.
I’ll still use them for now but my impression is that the oil will sling out away from where it’s supposed to be without shields….

5 Likes

I feel like shields can buy you a little extra time, but as you see they also hold in string debris and other stuff. It just comes down to, do you want to mess with it? Also shields can get damaged or dented and cause unwanted interaction with the cages that hold the bearings in place. This can be a source of noise.

3 Likes

I think I’ll buy a bulk order of bearings also lol

4 Likes

Honestly bulk bearings would be best but let us know where you find affordable bulk bearings for loopers.

I rely on Hollywood modern for bulk pads and c bearings but I don’t know where to get reliable bulk d or kk, a, b or other small sized bearings.

I leave my bearings alone till they need maintenance but once they need it I deshield and leave the shields off regardless of bearing. Makes cleaning easier and lube penetrate easier

2 Likes

Most loopers use MR84 bearings. If you look them up by that nomenclature you will find them in abundance. For A bearings it’s MR105. For D it’s MR115 with 5mm width. I’ll investigate further on B and see if there’s a standard nomenclature for it. :wink::+1:

2 Likes

Look on Amazon for MR84-2RS 4x8x3 bearing. There’s a few big packs

I hate shielded bearings. Especially when they put them on responsive yoyos

2 Likes

Bookmarked! Thanks!

2 Likes

I got the glow Initiator and the nats Hornet yesterday.

I got the Ion Cannon a couple of years back and didnt like it. I just picked it up again and I’m really enjoying it. The collest thing is the logo has a texture to it like it was painted.

6 Likes

Happy 2a Tuesday. I have a set of Ion Cannons and a set of initiators out for delivery today thanks to the YYE 4th of July sale. Here’s some lunch time shenanigans with my favorite 720’s.

4 Likes

Nicely done. I actually have one of each but hope to even it out soon. Past milking a shot glass full of milk I really just need one.

2 Likes

Shu cleans his bearings with lighter fluid

3 Likes

I actually follow that video exactly every practice sesh. The only difference is that I have 100% mineral spirits readily available so I clean with that instead of lighter fluid.
The full process actually makes a difference in the feeling.

1 Like

Bandon Vu uses a lighter to burn away those fibers

3 Likes

Hey man. Show us what colors you got.

The weekly haul so far…

New throws, pink ion cannons and “orange” and black C3y initiators (looks red to me)

Previously loved and purchased here through the forums are a set of Loop 1080 and Loop classics with new axles and large bearing kit from @Bitbet . Got blue spacers for my 720’s also.

6 Likes

Have fun with them

1 Like

Nice set up!!

1 Like