2A Tuesdays ( a Looping Thread)

Fell off of 2A Tuesdays for a couple of weeks. The grind is real and it really does take persistents and conscious dedication to hone the skill. Inspired by this vid of the World Champ Jensen Kimmitt throwing 2A at the Canadian Nationals in 2001, when yoyoers prided themselves as being yoyoers and not as concerned at being specialized. That’s probably why he is considered one of the Greatest of All Time (GOAT)

Back to ball bearings and poly. YYF Loop 720s with blue and red spacers and yellow Kitty Normal.

9 Likes

The situation in world is definitely allowing for some Yo time. Its Tuesday again, so getting in some 2A. My Glow in the dark pair of 720s with blue and red spacers. I saw one of the YouTubers do a review of one of YYF Play YoYo Collection the Black Cat as a matter of fact. He thinks it’s not good for looping. The GO! is just a rebranded 720 with a plastic transaxle instead or a bearing and spacers by the way, and there is a AA yoyo club version as well which did pretty well at 2A Worlds, even though it was modded to be a 720 with ceramic bearings. When YYF released the 2020, they did an awesome video on how string and string lengths affects looping. In brief long strings will make your loops sag compared to shorter ones. I’ve had a Black Cat since they released, as I wanted to 1/2 swap my Glow 720s. But I really liked the Black Cat out of the box and made it a daily non dominat hand trainer to tighten up my 2A play. Recently I’ve also really have liked it for 0A play as well. Either way I play it, I still keep the string shorter than I do for 1A and I think that’s where Mr YouTuber’s looping fail is, shorten your strings and your loops will drastically improve.

11 Likes

def bookmak this page

2 Likes

2A in isolation on this Tuesdays I’m breaking up my Shu Takada and Evan Nagao 720 1/2 swaps and taking them back to solids again with matching YYE 100% Polyester strings cut to 75mm and one red YYF Japan spacer and one Yomega Raider spacer. Going to focus on Tangler, and @AndreBoulay also has alot of great 2A tutorials here on the YYE site.

6 Likes

Enjoying the 2A grind and still working on Tangler, keeping it matchy matchy today including my responsive Sherpa

6 Likes

I know they aren’t necessarily the best for looping, but I’ve been on a ProYo kick lately:

4 Likes

Need any 2A motivation? Check out Connor Scholten @Tricksyouforgot44 Instagram and YouTube channel. Today I’m just going to do some Inside/Outside Loops 200 x 5 reps to make it 1000. Playing the same 720 set up as the last couple weeks.

3 Likes

Is the Loop 720 your preferred looper? Have you tried the 2020?

720s are my go too. They play the snappiest for me out of what I have in my collection. I have Hornet’s and Raiders as well, Hornets are good but I need to fix them. Haven’t played 2020s as my skill level isn’t in that upper 20% yet. I would probably spend more time tinkering than looping with those at this time in my progression. The 720s are just good out of the box and ready to go even though I’ve been experimenting with different spacers. Trying to get my muscle memory to be on autopilot, so I’m trying to be consistent with my current set up. Trying to at least do some 2A looping on Tuesday has already help with my consistancy and strength over all and every session I notice small personal improvements.

2 Likes

What are the different spacers for the 720?

I see different colors at the YYE store, but I assume the only difference between them is the color since there is no description of them being different in any other way.

Red are the thinnest, making a tighter gap and more response
Blue are in the middle
Green are thicker, making for a wider gap and longer sleep times.

Blue and Red is what Shu Takada uses in one of his set up videos.
Greens are what are in the USA 720 editions
Reds are in the Japan 720 editions
Blues you have to buy extra

The same spacers also work in Raiders.

2 Likes

There are Light Blue and Dark Blue spacers. How do they differ?

1 Like

Haven’t noticed those dark blue ones before, those must be from a restock. @YoYoExpertGarrett might have to give us the lowdown on those spacers. Maybe they are for the SUNRiSEs that use a B bearing instead of Ks.

2A I’m playing my Glow 720s with one blue and one red spacer and Yellow Kitty Regs. After today’s session probably need to do some maintenance. Today’s reps are alternating 20-40-20 Fence Hops, inside loops, outside loops repeating 3 times, 5 sets, and keeping sting tension neutral. Then I’m going to try and see how many Planet Hops I can do in a row and zone out on auto pilot.

5 Likes

2YR old 2A Tues.

3 Likes

Haven’t give up on playing 2A this Tuesdays. Even though I’ve was playing my share of 1A today. I still new to clean and service my 720s, so this late afternoon, I’m just going to get my looping in with these Yomega Raiders with red YYF 720 spacers and orange regular Vines. Since I have them open I’ll add a drop or two of thick lube.

6 Likes

Working on loops

8 Likes

Orschelns had YYF wood axle Loopers with classy blank white caps for $2.50 or so.

(Bwa ha hahahaha, they were Duncan Proyos with Despicable Me Minions that I flipped the caps upside down)

It took some sandpaper to wided the gap some, but using hand-twisted all-cotton type-10 strings.

2 Likes

Do not shoot the moon indoors… holy cow i didn’t think the ceiling was that low!

5 Likes

Outdoors or at least vaulted ceilings are definitely recommended for STM, vertical Punching Bags and Eli Hops.

4 Likes