2A Tuesdays ( a Looping Thread)

Daily, but i can only get about 90 min of practice most days. I try to get some 2A and 0A but mostly 1A.

1 Like

This is basically exactly where I am. I can do three synchronized loops before catching my left throw in my shoulder :rofl:

1 Like

You do use a lot more of your body in 2a (shoulder, elbow, foreheadā€¦)

1 Like

Yesterday milk the cow clicked for me!! It took me several months to learn it. Thatā€™s a big milestone for me.

6 Likes

US nationals have 2a playlist fully uploaded now. Here is my freestyle~!

12 Likes

Awesome! Thank you for the video!!!

2 Likes

@Tricksyouforgot44 the 2A compulsory list is intense, as if 2A wasnā€™t hard enough. By the way you and John Ando killed it at Nationals.

From Wiki

2A Compulsory List 2000 Worlds

1. 2 Handed Outside Criss Crossing Loops (15 reps) The first loops with each hand must be outside loops. The yo-yos trajectories must cross on the first loops and must stay crossed for all 15 repetitions.
  2. Spread Eagle Warp Drive Must start with alternating side loop regenerations into an Around the World followed by two more side loop regenerations into an Around the World. The Around the World trajectories must cross, behind the back, on all three repetitions. The yo-yos must be caught after the third Around the World with each hand. If a contestant throws an additional loop with either hand, before the catch, it will be considered a miss.
  3. Chinese Jump Rope (as seen on SuperYo video) (5 Complete Hops)You can start your looping hand going, and then start your hopping. You can do as many loops as you want. Hop the Fence back and forth over the hand that is looping. A complete jump rope hop is a Hop the Fence in front of you followed by a Hop the Fence over the loops. Each additional repetition starts with a Hop the Fence in front of you followed by a Hop the Fence over the loops. The contestant may do no more than two Hop the Fences in front before he or she starts to hop over the hand that is looping.
  4. Sword and Shield This trick must start with an Around the World and end after the forth Around the World. The loops must start during the first Around the World and at least one loop must pass through the trajectory of each of the four Around the Worlds. The looping yo-yo must be caught before or at the same time as the last Around the World yo-yo is caught. The contestant must catch the Around the World yo-yo before completing a fifth (5) revolution. In other words you can do 4 & 1/2 or even 4 & 3/4 revolutions of Around the World but not five (5). Also if a player continues to loop after the Around the World is caught it will be considered a missed trick. Note that the count on the Around the World starts as the yo-yo passes by the feet of the player.
  5. Criss Crossing Punching Bag (10 Reps) The yo-yo trajectories must cross on the first punches and must stay crossed for all ten repetitions. Starting with the first punches, the yo-yo trajectories must be above 45 degrees and below 135 degrees as measured from an imaginary vertical line from the player hand to the ground. In other words, you must start with ā€œlegalā€ crossing Punching Bags with each hand and stay ā€œlegalā€ and crossed for all 10 repetitions. In addition, a yo-yo may not turn over on its side more than 45 degrees from a vertical plane.
  6. Windshield Wipers (5 reps) - Jon Gates version: Simultaneously, starting from either the right or left side, a breakaway is thrown with one hand while a reverse breakaway is thrown with the other hand. When the yo-yos get to the other side they are simultaneously regenerated into another breakaway (or reverse breakaway.) This cycle constitutes one repetition. Continue to regenerate these simultaneous ā€œbreakawaysā€ eight more times to complete the five repetitions. Slight breaks in the simultaneous timing of the breakaways will be acceptable.
  7. 2 Hand Reach for the Moon Stalls (5 Reps) Each repetition consists of a Reach for the Moon, followed by an outward hop over the wrist (like a Hop the Fence), straight down and back up to contact with the palm of the hand. The yo-yo must contact the palm of the hand but may not be caught before each regeneration into Reach for the Moon. After the last repetition with each hand, the yo-yo is caught as it completes the Hop the fence.
  8. Cow Jumping Over the Moon (10 reps) Reach for the Moon with one hand and Hop the Fence with the other. Count starts with first complete Reach for the Moon after Hop the Fence has commenced. The most efficient way to do this trick is to start Hop the Fence with one yo-yo and then throw your Reach for the Moon yo-yo.
  9. Behind the Back Cattle Crossing (5 Reps) Yo-Yo trajectories may start crossed or uncrossed. The count starts when the yo-yo trajectories start to cross behind the back. Once the yo-yo trajectories cross, they must stay crossed during all five repetitions. The yo-yos may be caught behind the back or brought back to the front or side before catching. However, during the trick and prior to the catch, all of the ā€œHop the Fencesā€ with each hand must be ā€œInsideā€ Hop the Fences and none may be ā€œOutsideā€ Hop the Fences.
  10. Staircase (also called Tornado and Circular Fountain) Starts with 2-handed Milk the Cow to one side and works itā€™s way up to vertical loops (vertical punches) while the player rotates 360 degrees ending with 3 full vertical loops after both feet are planted. In other word the player starts facing forward, and ends up facing forward after one complete revolution. The trick ends when the player has completed 3 repetitions of vertical loops after his feet are firmly planted. The yo-yo trajectories must be near horizontal at 180 degrees and fully vertical at 360 degrees. Once the player has started the 360 degree turn they can not stop the turning until the full revolution is completed. The player should attempt to stay in the trick box but will not be penalized if they do step out during or after the turn.

Tiebreakers

• Double Reps starting at trick 7 through trick 9 and back to 7 if necessary.

2A Compulsory Trickset: 2006- Present?

1. ORBIT THE MOONS (3 REPS): Rules: (Change for 2006: reps reduced) Start with a forward pass outward toss with each hand and immediately punch each yo-yo into one and a half revolutions of retro-Around the World up into a Reach for the Moon. At the end of the outward toss of the Reach for the Moon punch each yo-yo into another one and a half revolutions of retro-Around the World back up into a another Reach for the Moon. Complete 3 or more reps and catch the yo-yos after the outward toss of the third Reach for the Moon. The reps may be performed either simultaneously or alternately. Judging Guidelines The judges will be watching to make sure that the player does not go into any of the Reach for the Moons until the second Around the World.
  2. ONE HANDED ARM WRAPS: Rules: (Change for 2006: Changed from Two Hand and from two to one Around the Worlds) Start with 3 or more reps of two hand loops. Transition one yo-yo into Around the World and wrap around the looping arm after the first World and perform 3 or more ā€œloop wrapsā€ with the wrap hand going under and over the loops, then transition back into two hand loops and perform 3 or more reps before catching the yo-yos. Judging Guidelines: When the Around the World yo-yo goes under the forearm doing loops the resulting wrap must be to the inside between the string and elbow. No criss-cross loops will be allowed on the transition from the last Arm Wrap back into two hand loops.
  3. WRIST-CROSSED FOUNTAIN (3-3-3-3): Rules: (Change for 2006: reps reduced) Start with hands crossed and perform 3 or more wrist-crossed Hop the Fences with each hand below 45 degrees from the vertical, followed by a transition to 3 or more wrist-crossed Punching Bags with each hand between 45-135 degrees from the vertical, followed by a transition to 3 or more wrist-crossed Vertical Punches between 160-200 degrees. Then punch back down to 3 or more wrist-crossed Punching Bags with each hand between 45-135 degrees from the vertical, then punch back down to 3 or more wrist-crossed Hop the Fences below 45 degrees from the vertical and catch the yo-yos while hands are still crossed. Judging Guidelines: Judging Guidelines: The Vertical Punches should be perform essentially directly overhead at a 180 degrees however the judges will allow a range of about 20 degrees from each side of vertical.
  4. TANGLER COMBO: Rules: Start with one or more reps of Around the World with each hand and get into the first Tangler. Perform 2 or more Tangler revolutions and get out of the Tangler while turning 360 degrees and while doing around Around the Worlds. Following the turn, immediately go into the second Tangler on the first full Around the World rep and perform 2 or more Tangler revolutions. Get out of the Tangler and catch the Yo-Yos. Judging Guidelines: You may shorten the strings by wrapping them around your hands while doing the Worlds. You may do a few loops after coming out of the second Tangler as long as there is no significant loss of control of either yo-yo.
  5. INSIDE/OUTSIDE VERTICAL PUNCHES (10 REPS) Rules: (Change for 2006: reps reduced) You must start by throwing the yo-yos directly upward. On the decent from the initial vertical tosses, the first Vertical Punch with each hand must be an Inside Vertical Punch and the second Vertical Punch with each hand must be an Outside Vertical Punch. In other words, you must start alternating Vertical Punches immediately and complete 10 or more reps with each hand before catching the yo-yos. At no time, including during extra any reps or during the ending, may you do two or more consecutive Inside or two or more consecutive Outside Vertical Punches with the same hand. The count will start on the second hand performing the first Outside Punch. All punches must be no more than 30 degrees from vertical. Judging Guidelines: The critical judging element the judges will evaluate is whether or not the first vertical punch with each hand is to the inside and that player immediately starts alternating between inside and outside vertical punches and never does two consecutive punches to the same side of their hand.
  6. DOUBLE STAIRCASE: Rules: (Change for 2006: reps of vertical punches reduced) This trick consists of two complete Staircases, one to the left and one to the right, performed in order of choice. Trick starts with Milk the Cow in front or to one side and works itā€™s way up to Vertical Punches while the player rotates 360 degrees into 3 or more reps of Vertical Punches after both feet are planted, then punch down into Milk the Cow and perform the same trick in the opposite direction ending with 3 or more reps of Vertical Punches after both feet are planted. Judging Guidelines: A complete 360 degree rotation will be based on the starting and ending position of the playerā€™s upper body and not based on the position of the playerā€™s feet before and after the rotation. The Vertical Punches should be performed essentially directly overhead at a 180 degrees however the judges will allow a range of about 20 degrees from each side of vertical.
  7. INSIDE/OUTSIDE REACH FOR THE MOONS (10 REPS): Rules: (Change for 2006: reps reduced) Starting with the first rep, the yo-yos must alternate from the inside of each throw hand on the upward vertical tosses to the outside of each throw hand on the downward trajectory. As the yo-yo descends it is thrown out and upward with an outside loop motion to complete the first rep. As the yo-yo returns a second inside upward toss is made as in a standard Reach for the Moon and again as the yo-yo descends it is thrown out and upward with an outside loop motion to complete the second rep. Complete 10 or more reps with each hand and catch the yo-yos. The count will start on the second hand performing the first outside loop motion. Judging Guidelines: The judges will what closely to make sure that the yo-yos always go outside the arms and to the sides on the downward.
  8. COW WRAP COMBO: Rules: (Change for 2006, cow rap reps reduced) Start with Hop the Fence with one hand, and then throw a retro Around the World with the other hand. As you complete the retro Around the World let it wrap over the arm doing Hop the Fence. Complete at least 3 cow wraps around the Hop the Fences. Your ā€œwrap stringā€ is now in front of the Hop the Fence arm (exactly like when you started the wraps). Pull the yo-yo over the Hop the Fence arm and transition into loops under the Hop the Fence arm. Complete 3 or more reps of cross-arm loops and Hop the Fence and catch the yoyos. The rep count will be on the loops. Judging Guidelines: When the retro Around the World yo-yo goes over the arm doing Hop the Fence the resulting wrap must be to the inside between the string and elbow. After each cow wrap the yo-yo should be hanging unwrapped over the front of the arm doing Hop the Fence. Significant loss of control on the cross-arm loops will be a miss.
  9. KURUKURU PINWHEEL WRAP: Rules: (Change for 2006: pinwheel reps reduced) Start with retro Around The Worlds with each hand thrown simultaneously to one side of your body. Let the yo-yo in one hand wrap over the other arm as it completes the first retro World and let it spin (sleep) while it is hanging there. Let the other yo-yo string wrap around your hand while it performs retro Worlds. When you think the string is the right length on that hand, grab the other string that is hanging over your other arm and start pin wheeling both yoyos. After 3 or more pinwheels with both yoyos, throw half retro Worlds to one side with both hands and transition up into Vertical Punches. Complete 3 or more reps of two hand Vertical Punches and catch the yo-yos. Judging Guidelines: Kurukuru pinwheels implies that the hands must overlap and roll over each other during the pinwheels so that the yo-yos are rotating basically in the same plane. If the hands separate during any of the pinwheels it will be a miss. See side view of video.
  10. BEHIND THE BACK CATTLE CROSSING (15 REP MINIMUM): Rules: The Yo-Yo trajectories must cross on the first throw of each hand and must stayed crossed for all 15 or more reps. The count starts on the first throw of the second yo-yo as it crosses the trajectory of the first yo-yo. The yo-yos must cross near the centerline of the contestantā€™s back. Complete 15 or more reps and catch the yo-yos. Judging Guidelines: The judges will look closely at each yo-yo as it reaches the end of the string on each hop. Some part of each yo-yo must overlap the end point of the trajectory of the other yo-yo during each rep. The strings should cross so it is clear that the trajectories are crossing but it is only necessary a small part the yo-yos actually cross. If the judges are sure there is a gap between yo-yos during any of the 15 reps it will be a miss.

Tiebreaker: Inside/Outside Reach for the Moons. Most reps with each hand wins.

4 Likes

Here are two variations of a trick experiment transitioning from mini to full shoot the moons. I am having fun trying to land it.

8 Likes

Thanks man.

What I find scary is the 2000 list was too easy for the immortal 2a guys back then, checking results you see the guys kept getting higher scores than other divisions so they had to keep ramping up the difficulty until 2004-5 to get proper separation, then in 06 they scaled it back.

I am still scared of the 04-05 2A list.

2 Likes

Itā€™s Tuesday and I made and remembered to link a post on Tuesday??! Yay!

https://www.instagram.com/tv/Cf7rAzTpbmt/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

7 Likes

I managed to get warp drive consistently as a repeater in both hands. Now to attempt both hands at the same timeā€¦

5 Likes

Ever since you wrote this I have wanted to post it too. I got it a bit faster but probably have more time on my hands. Yesterday it clicked for me. Iā€™m far from proficient but I feel like its such a big step to get your hands moving independently.

4 Likes

Happy Tuesday! Loop 720s today as always. Freshly restrung. The strings get shorter every time.

Are there any good practice routines for building up looping consistency and stamina? Like, specific sets or drills or something? Iā€™m particularly interested in how to manage string tension over a longer session. Do people do alternating inner and outer loops?

10 Likes

Yes, there are little motivating drills littered throughout this thread. I do a lot of counting, but over the years Iā€™m getting more into feel, but counting allows you to push harder, kind of like being at the gym and working with weights.

2 Likes

Thanks! This is perfect. I just need to modify the number of reps for where Iā€™m at stamina-wise. I donā€™t know why it hadnā€™t occurred to me to pair Hop the Fence with Inside Loops for string tension. Thatā€™s going to be a much tighter set for my current skill levels.

1 Like

Nice!!!

Coin off ears

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cgp97kTJbeu/

https://www.instagram.com/p/CglCdTQDVJf/

3 Likes

We will just have 2c wont we

1 Like

Today I landed Milk The Cow for 4 loops on each side! I also did 3 clean alternating inside loops before they synced up and I inadvertently wound up practicing a wrap trickā€¦badly.

Hereā€™s my throw tax but I still only throw the Loop 720s :man_shrugging:

10 Likes

I just started out this week trying to learn 2a on a couple of yotricks oracles. Man, you guys arenā€™t kidding when you say its hard to learn lol. I still cant do any consecutive loops on either hand after many hours of practice and some very sore fingers/wrists. Iā€™m having tons fun so far though; in fact I think Iā€™m quite addicted. I wish I tried 2a years agoā€¦

7 Likes