2018 World Yo-Yo Contest Coverage Thread - Shanghai CHINA šŸ‡ØšŸ‡³

Actually if anybody knows any of the songs from finals could you just post it here?
Nathan Dailey: APASHE - Lacrimosa
Ryuichi Nakamura: DJ Fresh - Gold Dust
Shion Araya (second song): KSHMR & MARNIK - Shiva
Ayumu Harada: Band of Horses - Funeral
Polo: Reach - Nobushi
Ryota Ogi (I think): KSUKE X AMBER - BREATHE AGAIN

Imagine if he didnā€™t have an actual yoyo in his hand during this performance

SHAZAM, lol.

1 Like

Arata Imai: Dubloadz: Life goes on

I just wanna say that I knew APASHE - Lacrimosa before I heard Nate use itā€¦ Iā€™m just gonnaā€¦ put that out thereā€¦ I know music, guysā€¦ yeahā€¦ Man isnā€™t it like the worst feeling ever when you find a really cool song but then somebody else uses it and does a better freestyle than you ever could before you get to use the song for your freestyle? I even made a 2 minute clipā€¦

1 Like

Lol yeah, like how Luckey Li used the Rip n Dip KTN remix that I planned on using.

Thatā€™s why you gotta use the real obscure Japanese future weeb funk techno house trance wave vapor chill stuff.

Or go with old school classic rock from the 70s. Everyone is using some hiphop or dubstep track with ā€œsick phat beats, yoā€. But some guys like to stand out from the crowd.

1 Like

@tvelto has complained many times people donā€™t ever use heavy metal in their yo-yo routines ā€¦ listen to his youtube intro music to see what he means :wink:

Wow - if you did not go and watch Hajimeā€™s Offstring freestyleā€¦ do it now! Insane. :exploding_head:

5 Likes

Lol, or maybe just donā€™t choose an edm song :joy:

Ryuichi actually used Change the way I feel - The Qemists

1 Like

Takeshi had better evals than Evan

1 Like

Yes - very interesting how the scores ended up falling there.

This will always be an issue whenever judging (subjectivity) is the mechanism for determining a competition winner.

In fact, itā€™s why Iā€™m not a huge fan of Olympic events in which medals are awarded on the basis of judging. If an event isnā€™t evaluated on the basis of time, distance, or some other precisely measured quantity (like weight lifted or goals scored), then maybe it shouldnā€™t be a medal event. Too much opportunity for controversy over the intrinsic subjectivity of judging to undermine the validity of the results (and the sport in general as a competitive activity).

Yoyo contest results arenā€™t really ever that controversial though. Yeah the judging isnā€™t perfect but everyone kind of already knows that, nobody really makes a big deal over the results of contests and the system really is about as good as itā€™s going to get. Everythingā€™s laid out well, judges, competitors, and spectators all know how the scoring system works.

The scoring system may not be perfect, but itā€™s very consistent at how itā€™s supposed to work, which is really whatā€™s most important.

1 Like

I thought it was a very interesting observation that one key to Evanā€™s success is that he crafts his routine according to what he knows judges like to see. Thatā€™s very shrewd strategic thinking, and I would argue it is all part of mastering the game, so to speak.

1 Like

His blaring, over the top metal intro is one of the reasons I dont really watch many of his vids. Not to mention the hate i got for pointing out that he was using the soundtrack that I knew from Hydraulic Press Channel for the last several years. I unsubbed after that.
His channel is alright but me and his music choices do not get along. Its funny to hear him trash other popular yoyo musics while having equally offensive tracks.

Music is funny like that.

I donā€™t mind hard rock and metal but I must admit I am not a huge fan of that intro music either, in fact I donā€™t think intro music should be a thing in any videosā€¦ just get to the dang content already :wink:

1 Like

Ive seen Tool 3 times, NIN 3 times, Metallica, System of a down 2 times, Static X, Dope, Manson, Korn, etc. I love it heavy and dark more than most. :slight_smile: but yea. Im glad he makes vids tho, he gets my support in spirit rather than views. haha