2018 World Yo-Yo Contest Coverage Thread - Shanghai CHINA 🇨🇳

Semi-Finals starting now!

Order below and live stream here!

https://m.douyu.com/241123

image image

1 Like

1a has the most competitors of all divisions but the smallest number to advance to next round. Why is that?

This is going to be fun to watch!

2 Likes

Results!!!

http://yoyonews.com/2018/08/11/2018-world-yoyo-contest-semi-final-results/

image image image image image

1 Like

Anyone know why Iori got DQ’d? 1a was pretty competitive. Very surprised Yamato Murata didn’t make the cut. Janos, Marcus, and Tal all missed it on the bubble too dang.

1 Like

One. Single. Throw.

2 Likes

His song had uncensored swear words

I think it was an error. They took 19. :+1:

Really excited to see Zichen Liu in finals.

2 Likes

Yeahhhhhhh!!! World champ 2018 lol

I really want Alex to win 3A.

2 Likes

A 2-minute tech routine can easily be done on a single throw using today’s yoyo’s, what with their massive spin times and unprecedented stability, no?

Ill have to disagree on this one.

A 2 minute dead sleep time, sure, thats easy.

A 2 minute routine with no regens and full tech? Id like to see it. I think you may underestimate this feat.

3 Likes

Absolutely not. A 2 minutes one throw tech routine is basically unheard of. 1 minute is already very impressive as it is.

Anyone can throw a hard sleeper and let it sit for a few minutes but every hit and every element you do slows down the yoyo. 20-30 seconds is the average realm for a long combo. For Takeshi to complete his whole routine with one throw like that while raking enough points to make it through to the next round takes extreme control over the yoyo.

2 Likes

Does Takeshi get any extra points for pulling that off? Seems like he should given how difficult it is.

Maybe a slight boost for cleanliness but not purely because he did a super long one throw.

:exploding_head:

3 Likes

It was fun to see so many elements on one throw. It was a relaxed and gentle pace, which is fun to watch.

Regarding the censorship issue. Why would anyone knowing the fairly strict guidelines pick such a blatantly offensive song on so many levels? It’s just idiotic and a waste of months of practice time towards the chance for a title. It was playing with fire, and the burn was likely considering the conservative venue.

1 Like

The language barrier can cause some serious problems from time to time. I could see how it could play into an issue like this. Its at least possible. At least that how it was explained to me last time one got DQ’d for lyrics.

Pretty silly if you ask me, but i dont make the rules.

The song was actually edited, just edited really poorly. A remixed version predominately just using the beat probably would have been a better choice since the routine was really well timed on the beat and I felt like that really worked well.

1 Like