2017 US National Yoyo Contest

That reminds me when me and my family took a trip from Rochester,MN to Boston. I had so much McDonalds I didn’t want to see that stuff again :joy:.

Hardcore eating on a road trip probably was not the best choice :joy:

I looked at the actual contest dates, and fares from Miami were in the $330 range. Looks like I might be able to get to worlds this year. Not $100 or cheaper than me getting to LA, but better than $1000+. Thank you Philip for sharing that site.

No problem! And if you do make it, have fun!

WARNING The following post contains many words. It would be considered a longer than average post; regardless of whether the contents of the post are at all: Useful, factual, redundant, abstract or meaningful. Because the following text is ‘long’ for those with attention deficit syndrome and just the inability to make reasonable attempts to understand the words of another person; it may be a valid suggestion to just skip this post and spend your time playing the 234th level of Candy Crush for the 27th time. Continue at your own risk*

“It’s not really national if it’s always in the same place”.

You could not be more incorrect; sadly.

The National Yoyo Contest by definition means it is a Contest inviting but ‘requiring’ contestants to ‘be’ residents of the United States.

The National Yoyo Contest invites participants from any and every State in the Country that meet 'residency and other specific requirements.

Personally I don’t see any reason to ‘not’ consider moving the Contest here and there from year to year.

But having ‘National’ in the title does nothing to compel it to be a ‘Moving Event’.

… Also consider that a lot of people your age can’t do a lot of things that cost more money than they have.

Consider All the people your age that live in the Midwest that can’t afford to get to Disneyland; no matter which Coast they would like to travel.

Consider all the kids your age that can’t afford anything.

No matter what part of the Country Nationals is held; there will be some people that will be left out because they can’t afford ‘to get there’.

Regardless of our ages; there are always things we can all take turns complaining about because we can’t pay the way to get there.

… And although I am certainly not a mind reader; I think your assumption that the people that plan Nats didn’t think to consider moving the Contest ‘earlier’ is baseless. Who knows what they were thinking?

I do know that the primary person or Promoter/host/whatever the Nationals; lives in Chico; so that no doubt factored in to where the Contest was held for years and years. Chico is a great place for the National Yoyo Contest(once you make it there; of course). It’s a really pretty and laid back City. Plenty of History in the area. Plenty of places of interest. Also nice venues over the years. Many excellent places to eat. Plenty of places to stay. Home to the National Yoyo Museum. Etc…

I would say(in my opinion) the primary thing I always didn’t care much for was Chico not being anywhere near a major airport. It’s pretty much out of the way… No matter where you are from.

The 3 ‘primary’ methods of transportation are either 1 driving all the way there from wherever you are 2 flying to the Sacramento Airport and taking a rental car the final 120 or so miles 3 flying into Sacramento and then taking a prop plane from Sacramento to the Chico Municipal airport. PS(somebody told me the prop service from the Capitol to Chico has been discontinued).

Actually I had it easy for years. I live in Southern California. I would drive the 500 miles to Chico. I would spend at least a few hundred for gas for the round trip… Spend 3 days at the Holiday Inn… Spend hundreds of dollars on yoyos and food and ‘whatever’ while there. Drive 10 hours straight to get back home by Monday morning and just in time to go back to work, lol.

So I can absolutely sympathize with everybody or anybody that might have a more expensive or challenging time getting to Nats.

But even though I agree it would be nice for Nats to make its way around the Country from one year to the next; having ‘National’ in the title does not mean it needs to move anywhere if the promoters/sponsors don’t want it to.

We all probably see Yoyo videos here and there; showcasing some pretty incredible Yoyo playing talents. And we also become aware that many of these people that throw some serious tricks will NEVER make it to any major contest.

So when people ‘do’ win at any major event; it does not necessarily mean they are the best in the: city, state, Country, etc. < It simply means they are/were the best(based on judging results) of the people that threw in the Contest ‘that day’…

I didn’t Yoyo when I was a kid. But I can imagine if I was about 13 and an extremely talented Yoyo player or was just learning and simply wanted to go to a major event to pick up some ‘skills’; I could kind of imagine how frustrating/disappointing it would be to ‘not be able to get there’ for whatever reason.

Here is how the emotional math works out>>> Happy times plus sad times= Life

Something like that.

1 Like

Your kinda 3 days late. This post was pretty much dead and already resolved.

…So are you saying that there is a calendar based open window of opportunity in making responses on this forum?

If that is indeed the case; then every single thread seemingly ‘resolved’ should be deleted from this Forum. Three days old; taking up space.

So opinions have to be made within 72 hours or they have no validity? I got a better idea>
knowledge is never late…

Sometimes ignorance is just 3 day early.

If you understood the difference; your response would have reflected that.

:thinking:

1 Like

I’ve driven with my family from Jersey to Miami, also about 26 hours. Didn’t stop for the night though :wink: there and back. Did it to Orlando as well :slight_smile: My daily commute is an hour and a half each way lol

That sounds rough! I only travel like 20 minutes to college every day… not bad at all (except during the winter)

I never said there was a “calendar based open window”, the point is that it was already resolved three days ago, so there is really no need to post anything in here. If it was made a month ago and still unresolved, then it would make sense to resolve it. Your inferences about what I think are wrong.

In my opinion, the extra information is always welcome to a topic. The whole point of the forums is for discussion so that more can be learned.

Think about science if every idea was accepted and not altered as other people’s ideas came into play. Where would our world be?

1 Like

It would probably get a lot more attention if he simply made a new thread.

Why would he make a new thread to respond to you. That’s a bit much.

Either way, yoyodoc made a lot of valid points. Re-read them, without the intent to respond, but to learn.

1 Like