2000s boutique yoyos

I was reminiscing on the 2000s tiny brands cuz the new Monkey Finger I got gives me those vibes, just more refined with the advances in yo-yo design/machining since then.

Anyway, I wanted to see if I could recall them all with the help of some other older folks.

And I don’t mean stuff like Hspin or SPYY who would be considered boutique now at their size but were very established in the community then. I mean like the guys who often dropped 1-5 Yoyos then disappeared for one reason or another, or still exist but rarely drop (General Yo, ILYY)

What I recall:

Vs Newton
Big Brother
Death by YoYo
Werrd
Kyo’s yoyos
Oxygene

Anyone else remember others?

1 Like

I would think Russell Andert qualifies

4 Likes

xCube
Chico
String Theory

3 Likes

Northern Spin company and Dert

3 Likes

Alchemy might qualify as well:

What about 3yo3? They released a number of yo-yos so might not qualify but the vast majority were hand turned IIRC.

I miss this brand, kick myself for getting rid of the Wedgie (I think) proto I had along w/ the first run Bully, that blue + silver was really nice, mostly since they seem hard to come by nowadays.

1 Like

He just dropped the Tinman last summer which are still available.

2 Likes

Deadly Spins

2 Likes

Throw Down

2 Likes

I wouldn’t call Werrd Boutique.

2 Likes

See I had the thought that they were bigger than that at the time, but wasn’t sure if that was accurate or my fondness for them making them seem so in my memory.

2 Likes

The TFL and 4XL were really popular at the time and had multiple runs

1 Like

Furf-yo (spelling?) had one release called the Roc I think.

1 Like

I was just making a list with that one on it. I remember how hype those were since you could customize the coating. Was spelled FurphYo as well and they also did the pyrex glass counterweights.

Here’s what I have:
Any Happy Yo (not sure if these guys count since some of their runs were larger)
BIST (not the mods but his actual production stuff which was disappointing)
BIO (Ego and Gear were nightmares and not sure if it counts since it went on to become recrev)
BrokenYoyos (Sumo used to be up there with all the top throws)
Madhouse (All just hype great throws)
Roo-Yo (Not exactly great players but the golfball dimples were fun)
Rollout (The R1 had an interesting response take but I didn’t really enjoy their throws)
Takuto (The L2 had mega hype with it’s hubstacks)
Hicoo (some people either loved or hated these guys)
Timeless (I know a couple people on yoyonation loved the painted Planck just like the peak)

4 Likes

Sounds like a terrible idea.

2 Likes