20 Titanium YoYos - My collection (With pictures!)

Opsss… my mistake! sorry ;D

"Wow! cool. Who did the work? is a classic of anodizzazioe process (as for the aluminum) or is different?
my remains raw … The titanium color is too good to be covered in my opinion.

P.S. the # 55 … I think I have seen him several times around, mistake or did you get it from Anmo?

Yea I got it from Anmo.

It was electric ano. Bathed in a solution and then electricity applied in various voltages to get it to oxidize correctly. Was done by a friend.

Thank you google translate :smiley:

This thread made me want a TiWalker…

6 years later and I still think it’s the best yoyo ever made.

2 Likes

Holy words!!!

I’ve tried pretty much every titanium yoyo apart from a few oldies like the tiphiter and tirade. I still think the TiWalker is the best titanium yoyo ever.

2 Likes

Ask for information about this yo-yo … What is your weight? how many have been made? and numbering is included in the 165 made? or they are made also outside of the 165 normal and numbered separately?

p.s. As to TYY-01 I don’t agree with your impressions (I do not know if you have played with another yoyo ;D)… it is one that I find yoyo well made and with a very accurate weight distribution which results in excellent performance in terms of stability and turnaround times.

p.s.2 You never had a Sovereign? I’d be curious to know your impressions… :wink:

I have a question. How did you keep the engravings after the anodizing process?

(I’m asking because I have a Ti Shutter and Dream. I wish to anodize them, but keep the engravings as I don’t have a high power laser and want to keep the engravings, I like them. ;D)

the ti-walker graphics are not just laser engravings like aluminum yoyo but obtained with a process called “annealing”. in the first post of the page explains the father of this magnificent yoyo

I must admit I’m not a huge fan of Ti yo-yos just because in my opinion the price premium is excessive for what you get; I think people are generally better off buying 2-3 different 6061 or 7075 or bimetal yoyos than one Titanium.

That said, everyone should have at least one Ti yo-yo just on principle, because it is a unique material … and this topic is awesome! :heart_eyes:

A few titaniums that I really like which were not mentioned

• Ti Peak
  • Luftverk Daytona (slim / optionally responsive)
  • 2Sick Fianchetto (slim / optionally responsive)

And of course the titanium Shutter though these days I really want a ti Wide Angle Shutter.

You know who has a lot of titanium yoyos? @weebus has a lot of titanium yo-yos. He posted this on Reddit about a year ago

:scream:

11 Likes

Beautiful collection dude.

1 Like

Hey this is mine now! Stonewashed, narrow-bearing responsive now. Still has some of your love-scratches on it though.

9 Likes

@chaosgow How’s it going dude? I would love to see an updated post on your current titanium collection and thoughts. Especially with some of the titaniums that you have since produced! - I enjoy your descriptions. :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

I appreciate this as a comparison for ti. Very nice collection friend.

1 Like

Rod Serling: Submitted for your approval: one CodingHorror. A mild mannered yo-yo enthusiast and self avowed titanium skeptic who is about to discover that life is not without a sense of irony. Because, you see, fate can work that way… in the Ti-light Zone.

9 Likes

I don’t have any of these anymore lol. This thread is mega old and I’ve sold them. I only have the yoyos I’ve made, a 2Sick Castle and a wedding titanium yoyo. I wouldn’t be able to compare them at all because it’s been so long since I’ve owned them.

One thing I’ve learned that I think is worth noting is, titanium yoyos aren’t really worth it unless they’re cheap. Both from a business and buyers perspective.

As a buyer, you don’t really get anything apart from sparks and rings. If that’s your thing then buy titanium yoyos, if not, you’ll get more performance and variety with aluminium. You can also out perform titanium with bimetals which are also much cheaper. The only thing titanium has on cheaper materials is durability but that’s only potentially true if you design for it.

As a business it’s extremely expensive to run them which makes them way too risky to be worth it. Even with pre-order runs you can hemorage money as I did with the latest Tosser run (Which is why it’s gonna be years before I do another Ti). The return on the risky investment is just not worth it, unless you’re a madman like @codinghorror and you’re doing it with intent to lose money or break even like he did with the Vayders (He deserves big respect for that!)

Even as a designer you have less options. Yea you can draw all the same shapes and get the walls super thin, but it doesn’t improve weight distribution options over a good, strong aluminium which can be had at much lower costs,

If you like the sounds and the sparks, then go for it. You can get the sparks with titanium ringed bimetals or plastic hybrids but sometimes that’s just not what you want. If you just want to show off your expensive yoyo, that’s ok too. I’ve been one of those people, which is where this thread came from. I’ve learned that how a yoyo plays and feels on a string is way more important than the material it’s made from. As a designer and player I’ve got a lot more options with aluminium and steel. I can stack more rim weight, more center weight, have lighter walls and just as much durability.

21 Likes

I would hope to hear that you also kept your beloved Ti-Walker too? :grimacing:

I have the Ti-Vayder and love it. It is likely to be the only titanium that I will own for the foreseeable future. I am curious to know what you thought about the Ti-Vayder in comparison to the Ti-Walker - especially since it incorporated the revisions that you suggested.

Based on what i have thrown in my collection, I totally agree with what you are communicating here. My G2 Reaper and even YYF 2015 Genesis can definitely keep up performance-wise with the Ti-Vayder and my Edge 1.5 and Grasshopper GTX certainly outperform it.

But I also feel that there is something unique about the feel of a titanium yoyo. Looking specifically at the Ti-Vayder (I am limited here, it is the only Ti that I have thrown), even if it isn’t the highest performer, it still has more than enough power (a lot actually) and is very stable but also has a unique play feel that is both exhilarating and fun. I think @HVizier described it very well (here): “It without a doubt has that balance of light and heavy, competition and fun, and overall performance that the Ti Walker is so well known for.” To me, it has a similar feel to the OD Cascade (one of my favourites and a really unique throw in my collection) but takes it to the next level as lighter, more powerful and more stable. So overall, I feel that there is still value in making and throwing titanium yo-yos and that it remains a meaningful medium in yoyocraft.

5 Likes

I didn’t keep the TiWalker. Great yoyo, I just didn’t need to keep it for the reasons I said above.

I stand by the fact you could make a yoyo equal to any titanium yoyo out of other, cheaper materials. There aren’t many people who’ve made as many models of both so I do feel like I have the authority to tell you my thoughts and findings. You could make an aluminium tiwalker that plays like a tiwalker. I’m not bothered about doing that as I feel like that yoyo has been done to death. My point wasn’t just about performance. It was more about variety and ability to create yoyos that play in a way you want. Performance is just one easy to explain side of that.

8 Likes

GOD im so jelly. I need to get a titanium yo-yo so baaaaaaaaaad. I’m hoping for a new run of ti-vayders. I’ll buy that in a heartbeat. Beautiful collection btw.

1 Like