20-EH-teen!

The EH:

If you haven’t heard of the EH before, let us explain – It’s a bit of a legend!

In 2012, SPYY team member Ed Haponik took a one year oath to throw only a single fixed-axle wooden yo-yo. It was a custom design from SPYY who sponsored him at the time. He completed this goal on 12/31/12 and documented his efforts on 365yoyotricks.com and in several of his clip videos. Ever since Ed has truly helped to inspire a resurgence in fixed axle play!

tmbr-ed-haponik-eh-yoyo-5

Fast forward to 2018 and Ed is no longer sponsored by SPYY, but he’s still throwing down some of the best fixed axle tricks around via his Instagram page!

tmbr-ed-haponik-eh-yoyo-9

With a hiatus in 2017 the EH returns with significant design changes. We wanted to keep the story of Ed’s Fixed Axle journey alive while trying to add a modern touch in design to improve both aesthetics and spin quality. With a lot of R&D from Colin at TMBR the all new 2018 EH has arrived and we couldn’t be happier with it! We call it – Two-Thousand-EH-Teen!

tmbr-ed-haponik-eh-yoyo-2

This year, the limited EH is crafted from Maple and Ash with the TMBR signature wood thread axle systems. It has the Ed Haponik EH ensō logo on one side with the other side left unengraved for a clean simple look!

RELEASING 12/18 @ 8PM EST!

https://shop.yoyoexpert.com/products/eh-yoyo-ed-haponik-by-tmbr-spyy-yoyoexpert

11 Likes

Wow…I can’t wait. This is a beautiful design.

5 Likes

I hope I can snag one, I gave my old one to a friend!

1 Like

I really hope I can snag one of these, do you know how many will be in stock?

2 Likes

That ash wood is absolutely beautiful. Very nice design too. It’s a lot bigger and wider than I was expecting, I think some of the reason for that would to be to keep the weight around the 50g mark.

I wish Australia had such nice, fine looking woods like the US and Canada do. Ours tend to be really dense, rough and gnarly.

4 Likes

Probably because those trees are trying to kill you, like everything else in Australia

2 Likes

Hahahaha!

Yep. Straya will kill you dead.

1 Like

RIP spyy I still love you

2 Likes

Wow, how many were there? $65 wood yo-yos gone in a flash…!

4 Likes

100 in the run. I got a couple, and I know 1 died valiantly in transit (*pours one out).
I’m so very appreciative. Really beyond words.
That people are into this kind of yo-yo and the style of yo-yoing it was designed for, to say nothing of how important this particular yo-yo’s story has been to me… it means more than I can say.
To anyone who was able to get one of these (or any of the ones we’ve done in the past), my sincere thanks, and my sincere hope that playing it brings you the same joy it brings me!

12 Likes

Here’s an example of one of our dense and gnarly woods.

Say hello to gidgee; the world’s third hardest wood. It’s hardness is only marginally less the the world’s hardest.

I bought this piece to make a ring for my brother for Christmas 15453106663387424742566629872860

4 Likes

I hope your chisels are nice and sharp mate!

Always! :dagger:

1 Like

Ed, we should be thanking you! You have been one of the few driving forces behind making wooden fixed axle play more accessible for the modern thrower. You have put out some very helpful and clear tutorials for tricks, and you frequently provide inspiring content showing us just how far fixies can be pushed!

And to top it all, you had the privilege of collaborating and designing a yo-yo that truly suits your style; that can be shared with the rest of the community. An instant classic. This is your legacy man! Part of it at least :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

QUESTION!

@smileypants707 now that you have joined our ranks, the few, the proud, the $65 poorer who own a totally tubular and radical 2018 Eh… will you be using a nylon string on it? :thinking:

1 Like

No, no I will not. But I will be expanding my string spinning endeavours to include strings geared toward fixie play!

2 Likes

I actually accidentally put a nylon on a wood axle recently.

It was not intentional, grabbed a rando generic string from my box of rando generic yo-yo stuff, assuming it’d be typical poly, and crazily enough it was nylon. I thought it might be when installing it, as it was super slick, and sure enough when I singed the cut end so it wouldn’t fray… that distinctive nylon stank. :dash::nose:

Surprisingly it… didn’t… suck? Way bouncier than I wanted initially, but once I adapted it was kinda shockingly decent. Still vastly prefer poly though on wood axles, as cotton and me do NOT get along.

1 Like