The Official Yoyo Terminology Glossary

Terms you will see on yoyoexpert:

PGM: Plastic Grind Machine.

Silli: Silliconing a yoyo.

Stackless: A yoyo with hubstacks removed.

Hubstacks: Posts that stick out the sides of yoyos that enable you to grab the yoyo while it is still spinning.

BST: Buy Sell Trade.

LF: Looking for…

FT: For trade…

FS: For sale…

1a-5a: The five main types of yoyoing.

1a: Standard unrepsonsive yoyoing involving string tricks, wraps, whips, and slacks.

2a: Two looping yoyos at the same time.

3a: Two unresponsive yoyos at the same time.

4a: Offstring, meaning the yoyo completely leaves the string.

5a: Counter weight, meaning the yoyo is not connected to your finger instead a counter weight is on the end of the string.

Mod: A modification made to a yoyo.

Bronie: A bro who loves ponies.

Tut: A tutorial on how to do a trick.

YYF: Yoyofactory.

YYJ: Yoyojam.

OD: One Drop.

CLYW: Caribou Lodge Yoyo Works.

VsNYYC: Vs. Newton Yoyo Consepts.

BUMP: A term used meaning “Bring Up My Post”. Used to reset or cycle a threads place up for everyone to see again.

DM: Dark Magic.

Unresponsive: The term to describe a yoyo that will not return to your hand unless binded
Bind: A trick designed to utilize a string configuration in which the excess string is thrown into the gap of the yoyo. End result the yoyo returns to you.

Poly: Polyester string.

Slick6-12: A number used to tell how thick or thin string is by how many threads of thinner String are in each full string.

YYE: YoyoeXpert.

Mint: A term used to let people know a yoyo is in the same condition as it would be brand new.

Ding: A mark put in a yoyo due to it being dropped or struck against something.

Ano: Anodized metal; a popular finish on a yoyo.

Grind: A trick where the yoyo is placed on your arm hand or finger while it is spinning.

50/50: A type of string made up of half polyester and half cotton.

Satin Finish: A finish on a yoyo that makes grinds last longer. Characterised for it’s soft feel.

FHZ: Free Hand Zero

IMO: In My Opinion.

Vibe: a vibration you can feel or see coming from the yoyo.

Wobble: A vibration that is so bad the yoyo wobbles.

CT: Center Trac Bearing.

KK: KonKave Bearing.

string Burn: A burn on your finger caused by the string rubbing on your skin causeing friction.

TH: Throw Hand.

NTH: Non Throw Hand.

Smoothie: A yoyo with no vibration.

yoyo Bite: when the yoyo catches the string unintentionally and bites back and hits your hand.

GT: Green Triangle.

Admin: Administrator.

add any if i missed some. information only no disscussion! help this get stickied

2 Likes

YYF:Yoyofactory
YYJ:Yoyojam
OD:One Drop
CLYW:Caribou Lodge Yoyo Works
VsNYYC: Vs. Newton Yoyo Consepts
BUMP: A term used meaning “Bring Up My Post”. Used to reset or cycle a threads place up for everyone to see again
DM: Dark Magic
Unresponsive: The term to describe a yoyo that will not return to your hand unless binded
Bind: A trick designed to utilize a string configuration in which the excess string is thrown into the gap of the yoyo. End result the yoyo returns to you :slight_smile:
Poly: Polyester string

1 Like

how about mint?

mint-mint is a general term but for yoyo’s it is a yoyo without any scratches scuffs or dings
ding-a mark made on a yoyo from the yoyo hitting and object
grind-when the yoyo moves along your arm or sits on your finger hand or palm

I think that if we’re trying to get this stickied, we should clean it up a little. I propose something a little like this.

Pad: A rubber or silicone sticker applied to the axle area of a yoyo to make the yoyo change response.

50/50: Reference to a string made of 50% one material and 50% another material (Ex. 50% nylon and 50% polyester)

Satin Finish: A finish on a yoyo that makes grinds last longer. Characterised for it’s soft feel.

Notice the capitalization of the first word of the definition, the space after the colon, and the space between definitions. It may take up a little more room, but it looks a ton better and makes it easier to read.

EDIT: as to not add any more ‘discussion’ posts to this thread, I’ll say that bolding the first word is a great idea.

I think we should add these new terms to the original post and do what Jake_Elliot did. Capitalize the first letter or even make the words bold and the terms just regular to make it easier to this.

Example: Definition

fixed.

cleaned it up a bit and added spaces between each definition. i also went backand capitalized and checked spelling and added correct punctuation.

HM: HitMan (Pro)

IMO: In My Opinion

i wont be doing HM as there is a ton of acronyms for a ton of yoyos

only th most used yoyo acronyms will make it through.

Could you also add “Axle” and explain what “siliconing” is?

Maybe add
Flat spot - flat damage to rim of yoyo “see ding”
Noly - nylon/poly blend of string
Vibe - a yoyo that vibrates when sleeping
Wobble - a extreme vibration which makes the yoyo “wobble”
Smooth - self explanatory. A yoyo with no vibration
Response - the system used to return a yoyo to your hand, starburst, pads, silicone.
Starburst - response system that uses a raised star pattern to return your yoyo
CT - center trac bearing
KK - konkave bearing
Self-centering bearing - a bearing which centers your string allowing for less friction.
O-ring - response system which uses a rubber or silicone o-ring commonly found in hardware stores
GT - green triangle
Smexy - an awesome yoyo. Smooth and sexy lol
String burn - a friction burn caused by yoyo string
Yoyo bite/snags - when the yoyos response catches when unintended, sometimes causing pain lol
TH - used when speaking about tricks, refers to throw hand or the hand u throw your yoyo with
NTH - the hand not attached to the yoyo or non throw hand.

Some of these are probly iffy just pick the good ones

added some from your list thanks

anyhting i can do to make this thread a little better and keep it on the front page? i really need to get this stickied.

Bump! Up the jam!

ilyy: i love yoyo (a german yoyo company)
sILLYcone: the red silicone that ilyy uses
side effects: a removable axle system used in some one drop yoyos
candy blast: the bead blast that ilyy uses
candodize: the ano on non-candy blasted i love yoyos
Admin: forum administrator

EDIT: mod can also mean forum moderator

YWET = Unicorn…

Ok thank for the info

just wondering… what does FHC mean?
Freehand classic? custom? zero with a c size bearing?