Lets talk about the Peak

I got lucky two days in a row… yesterday, walking down to my truck; the mailman handed me a Sengoku Musashi. A most excellent yoyo. After messing with it for literally hours; I pondered what it would take to impress as much as the Musashi?

Today the mailman just tossed a priority box up on my porch… It was a Salmon Fade 10th Anniversary Peak.

I never really cared for the original Peak. That does not mean that the Peak wasn’t a very good yoyo. It was just not ‘my’ cup of tea 10 years ago. There were other yoyos that I just liked better for one reason or another.

But since I have always felt Chris has put out good yoyos; when I heard about the New Peak; it was pretty much automatic that I would get one. That was before I ever knew that the New release would be updated for even better performance. At that point, I just needed to decide on what colorway.:thinking:

I am not really partial to any particular type of finish: solids, fades, nickel, powder, splashes, raw, polished, teflon, AMS, whatever?

What works for me is whatever strikes me for a particular yoyo design. Many colors look decent on most yoyos but some finishes just look sweeter on certain shapes…

When I viewed the color options; I decided on the Salmon Fade in about 4 seconds, lol.

I could care less about why a Company does whatever finish> less expensive, easier, less fails, whatever?
If I like a certain yoyo with a certain finish; then that is the one that I ‘like’; period.

Well, I opened the box. Took out the Peak. And before I even put a string on the Yoyo; I knew something good happened for me today.

This New Peak is a Beast! It is sooooo good that I did something that I do from time to time. Instead of slowly appreciating what I liked about the Peak; I made an exerted effort to find anything that I ‘didnt like’ about the Peak?

As an old school yoyo modder; many times I would work from the ‘negative’. When I handed a modded yoyo to a higher level player; I would tell them, ‘Don’t tell my what you like about the yoyo. Tell me what you dont like about the yoyo’. < And I would mix in the feedback on the next mod.

Well… I found absolutely Nothing that I dont like about the New Peak. Everything I did discover about it was extremely ‘right’.

When I am waiting for any yoyo in the mail; I always have a sort of vision of how I want it to play for me.

How it feels in the hand, on the string, in the air… How the weight is distributed. How it will look in person. How the finish will feel on grinds. How stable it will feel to me. How it will regen. How it gyros. How well it binds and plays with the stock bearing. <Basically how well that imaginary yoyo plays in your dreams, lol.

No doubt everybody has had a preconceived vision of how their next yoyo is going to play. And no doubt everybody has had that ‘one’ yoyo that you could not like no matter how hard you tried.

Well, when the mail was on the way; I kept thinking to myself; Chris has had 10 years to get even better at yoyo designs. And since he was good when he started; that gave me a very confident feeling about what I would remove from the box when it arrived. Chris did some seriously good homework on this updated design.

I was not/am not disappointed.

The New improved Peak plays just like the yoyos I throw in my dreams.

Dreamy!

4 Likes