YYR Onslaught?

Can anyone tell me how the Onslaught plays? What’s it’s good and bad points? Thanks🙌🏽

1 Like

the Onslaught is a really great yoyo, one of the best of the more recent YYR designs in my opinion. unfortunately, the unique design of it is not executed in the best way.

if you didn’t know, there are two rims on the Onslaught, the outer rim is SS and the inner rim is actually plastic. this design is super unique and plays very uniquely too. the performance of the yoyo is really good, as most yyr bimetals are, but the plastic ring gives a very interesting feel to the yoyo, it’s hard to describe, but it is very unique and in my opinion, it is very cool.

like I said though, because of this unique rim design with the two very different materials, there are some problems. if you damage the yoyo enough, the plastic rim may start to move/spin, though the yoyo will 100% still be playable and it probably won’t even affect the smoothness of the yoyo. if you end up hitting the ground often, the plastic rim may even pop out. luckily, it is really easy to get the rim back in, it’ll literally just pop back in, and it still shouldn’t affect smoothness much, but it is a problem with the yoyo design itself.

other than those problems with the rim design, the Onslaught is a really great yoyo, and is one of the most unique bimetal designs in awhile. I definitely recommend it if you have the chance to pick one up!

6 Likes

Wow thanks for the in depth review, might I ask the same thing of the Valkyrie if you’ve tried it?

1 Like

Valkyrie in my opinion is underrated out of YYR’s “big three” bimetals which are the Draupnir, Sigtyr, and Valkyrie.

it is extremely powerful, and I believe the heaviest of the three bimetals at near 66 grams or so. it was the preferred choice of Arata Imai, before he created his signature yoyo, the Inevitable, which is unsurprisingly similar in play to the Valkyrie. it has the same unique blast that the Sigtyr and Draupnir did, feeling slightly rougher and chalkier than most blasts. being as powerful as it is, and being decently heavy, it hits the bottom of the string pretty hard, which can be off-putting/too powerful for some people. my only complaint with the Valkyrie is that it can be a bit slippy with IR pads (YYR’s old stock pads) but snaggy with newer 19mm pads such as the Sochi pads that I use in my Valk. as long as you’re aware of that fact, it isn’t really a problem. it has an extraordinarily long spintime.

it’s hard for me to say of the Valkyrie, Draupnir, and Sigtyr, which is best, because they’re all really good and legendary in their own ways, but I think the Valkyrie is the most powerful and unforgiving of the three yoyos. I recommend it as long as you enjoy super powerful yoyos.

4 Likes

Woww alright I’ll give it some thought thanks again for the super helpful reviews, and I prefer my yoyo being a bit slippy then snaggy I hate snags

Josef gave a fantastic breakdown of the Onslaught and Valkyrie. It’s been a long time since I had a Valkyrie. I would say that it plays like a more solid and heavier Draupnir. The edges aren’t as rounded, which can make it feel sharp on the catch.

I just got an Onslaught yesterday, so I’m definitely still honeymooning. It’s absolutely phenomenal and very different from YYR’s other throws, as Josef said. The Draupnir/Valkyrie shape has a particular feel, kind of like a modified V, imo. The Onslaught plays very distinctly W shaped, which I really love. It has kind of a unique hollow feeling (different than the hollow feel of other rim weighted throws). It plays fast, but not frenetic, extremely powerful and stable, and ultra controllable. It’s easily my favorite YYR, and I’ve owned most of their iconic designs. I might posit that it feels somewhat like a blend of an Edge Beyond and a Draupnir, but that’s just a rough approximation.

Thanks to Josef for explaining the durability issues, which I’ve heard about.

3 Likes

Thank you both wish I could get in depth details like this on every yoyo I was interested in :raised_hands:t4::sob:

2 Likes