Disclaimer: I bet this has been discussed before, but the popularity of the Classic, and the frequent use of the adjective “classic” to describe certain yoyos made the search function pretty worthless.
I picked up a YYJ Classic last week in order to have a responsive throw that’s a bit more stable and catch friendly than my Velocity. So far, so good.
However, right out of the box I noticed it’s responsiveness is inconsistent and pretty minimal even when it does work.
What I’ve Done:
- Double checked the bearing seating
- Checked that the o-rings seem to be in firmly
- Lubed bearing
- Replaced string (standard thickness)
After using thick lube, it has improved somewhat, but still doesn’t really act responsive.
- It has to be spinning really hard to come back reliably.
- Even when it does come back, I have to hop is several inches up before it grabs.
- It’s much less likely to return as expected on a breakaway. This is probably partly because my throw isn’t as strong, but still, it doesn’t want to come back after Around the World.
- Despite all of this, binds are very fast and tight.
Does anyone know what causes this, or how I could get it working as a responsive yo-yo should?