YYF Ti Genesis vs TopYo Twin Drive

If you were in the market for a new titanium yoyo, which of these two would you think is the better purchase?

Or, do you think they’re too different to compare?

1 Like

Wow they are quite different!

I can only say, if you want it to “sing”, I doubt the Twin Drive will do that.

1 Like

I think they’re a pretty fair comparison after playing each of them. I would go with the topyo twin drive because it has a fast and light feel (also it has a strange hollow feeling). The ti genesis just didn’t give me enough to feel like the ti was worth it. I personally would have just rather had a normal Genesis instead of a ti version.

4 Likes

Buy one of these if you really want it to sing

@Myk_Myk

7 Likes

What are you looking for in a ti yoyo?

1 Like

That’s an excellent question.

Mainly, something to get that “titanium feel” and understand what people like about TI.

I currently have the Doombot, which is amazing, but I don’t know if it’s a typical titanium, because of the brass rings. Also because of the brass rings, I’m hesitant to be too careless with it.

So I guess I’m also looking for something I can use on a more daily basis without worry of damage.

Regarding yoyos in general, I prefer a more laid back style, “floaty,” fun. I’m less concerned with speed and/or competition-readiness.

I hope that helps to get a feel for what I’m looking for!

Edit:
“Titanium isn’t what you’re looking for,” is a fair answer to all of that, too.

4 Likes

Sounds like not the the Twin Drive then, as it has SS rings.

I think you should look for other monometal Ti throws to consider instead of the Twin Drive.

I haven’t played one, but what about:

They seem to be well reviewed, are reasonably priced, and are full Ti.

Also, I know @skitrz joked about the singing, but that’s definitely a part of the titanium experience.

2 Likes

In this case, I would look into getting a solid titanium (if you want to get a titanium) with a more organic shape. Examples are the Ti-Vayder, G2 TiHawk or the YYF Ti 888. I only own and have played with the Ti-Vayder and like it a lot. These 3 yoyos take advantage of the titanium properties in a fun way without being super focused on performance. The other thing I would suggest is to look at a yoyo made of stronger aluminum alloys (7075 or 7068). Especially One Drop’s “boosted” yoyo designs, which take advantage of the higher strength and density of 7075 to make unique yoyo designs without them being heavy. Examples of things that you may like are the Free Solo, the nitro, or the Markmont. Classic Magnum Opus. The first 2 are available right now, the last one is sold out but should be releasing as another run on YYE this year (it is made by OD but is a Markmont yoyo).
Additional comment: A solid titanium yoyo will be more durable and cheeper than a bimetal titanium.

2 Likes

I can’t think of a better titanium yoyo for your needs, based on what you’ve said, than a TiVayder. You’ll have to wait for one to come up on a BST, but it is worth the wait.

Another excellent choice is a G2 TiHawk, but again, you’d have to find one on a BST.

2 Likes

I would look at the ti genesis

2 Likes

@FrankieJR has a ti genesis or multiple and I would ask him some questions about it

2 Likes

I definitely wouldn’t say the twin drive is floaty. The things I like about it is how nimble and fast it was so if you’re looking for something laid back I would check out some other throws.

1 Like

There can be as much variation with titanium yoyos as there are with aluminum yoyos, so it would be really hard for me to describe what the “titanium feel” actually is. Having said that, I think you can get the combination of float and power by really thinning the yoyo body, something that can’t be done with aluminum.

I agree that if you are looking for float in a titanium, avoid Titanium/stainless steel rimmed bi-metal yoyos and look for solid construction round “organic” shapes. I also second the recommendation of the Ti-Vayder, which is absolutely great. It basically does everything; It has float but still has decent power and spin. The Vayder had a huge run so its a little easier to find than some of the other titanium yoyos. I actually think the Doombot does have it’s share of float but it has but a ton of crazy power with it. I think it’s one of the best yoyo’s out there, so you probably already have an idea of what titanium yoyo can be like. Typically most ti yoyos are geared towards performance. I haven’t come across a ti yoyo that was purely designed for slower, balloonly, floatly play.

If you are looking for aluminum yoyo alternatives that are slow/float oriented, some boutique yoyos suggestions include Ar-t Grail, Cloudberry, 50/50, and Elysium. Ar-t Grail I think is the gold standard for float, but they can be hard to find. Cloudberry and Elysium I believe are both in stock as I write this. I think the 50/50 will have another run at some point. I haven’t tried the Markmont Classic Magnum Opus but it is extremely popular, so I’d definitely look at getting one when it releases later this year. (Plus if you buy from YYE, you do support this forum).

1 Like

I’ve owned a ti genesis. I currently own a twin drive. The ti genesis is still a nice yoyo. But as Joe said, the twin drive is definitely more nimble and quick.

Kinda just depends what you like.

2 Likes

I think someone kinda mentioned this but yea sounds like u may like a raw titanium mono that you can polish if u damage it a little…(to an extent)
The e1nstien is pretty laid back and chill. Still stable for its size
The ti888. Tipeak. Evora. Just ti name a few nice performing laid back throws

3 Likes

The Luftverk 000 is another you might want to take a look at, it’s a titanium organic. A new run of them is set to be released in a few weeks (also the last run IIRC).

2 Likes

The 000 doesn’t strike me as a titanium EDC. I’d very much be against throwing mine like I didn’t care if something happened to it. But maybe that’s just me. :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

Ah, I missed the EDC part and thought they were just looking for laidback titanium throws.

Yeah, would go w/ something more like Ti-888, TiVayder, or an Evora if you can get a good deal. I have a TiGenesis and have to agree that it kinda just feels like a Gensis.

2 Likes

Yeah, I also have a TiGenesis, and even though I like it quite a bit, I don’t really feel that it gives me that “titanium experience” for some reason. Not sure why.

3 Likes

Thank you everyone for all of the wonderful feedback! I wish I could respond to everyone individually.

It sounds like my best bet is to check out the Titanic, or wait / look for a TiVayder to come up on the BST.
I’m certainly not hurting for yoyos, so I can wait a bit.

1 Like