Yoyos with Soul

I have recently become rather bored with current trends in yoyo design.

Organic evenly distributed weighted yoyos to me feel too gentle and almost ghostlike, while most competition yoyos with all of the weight pushed to the rims feel slightly robotic.

With that being the case, I feel like I have had a hard time finding yoyos that to me seem like they have a soul. I know this is hard to quantify and may be different depending on the person, but I want my yoyos to feel not necessarily unique but alive.

Yoyos that I have played recently that fit this feeling are the Huatian Pinecone RE, and the Recess Tropic Alien. I think the feeling that I am looking for has something to do with weight distributed uniquely in the cup but it could be something completely different. Other yoyos that have also given me this feeling are the CLYW AC 2, and the Spin Dynamics Alter Ego. What I may be looking for as well would be yoyos that play as if they were released between 2014 and 2016 before yoyo design shifted to focus on extreme weight distribution where the yoyo must be lighter that 65 grams, and must have most of that weight on the rims.

I know this may be a hard post to decipher but what yoyos have you played that you feel like have a life of their own, or that may fit what I have been attempting to describe?

3 Likes

My yoyos tell me to burn things…

That said, I think RSO’s tiramisu 2 and derti have a special flow about them. Same for the Heaven Sent Creep. No doubt it’s all going to be highly personal as every topic about feel/favorites comes down to.

6 Likes

if you like the artic cirlce I think Clyw’s The Boy would be a good fit.

3 Likes

I have a Turning Point Soul.

And the name fits the yo-yo Perfectly.

….And I have a Yoyorecreation called Seventh Heaven.

It has a presence I can’t really describe. But Soul would be a good word to use…

1 Like

I think you maybe think about yoyos too hard.

22 Likes

I really don’t know what to tell you bro. I think it’s just merely perception IMO.

3 Likes

A yo-yo is kind of like a mirror. Some people want one that’s utterly clear and pure to the point of harsh austerity. Others want one with something like a soft glow or filter. But regardless, whatever “soul” you perceive is just a reflection of your own. (I like to imagine yo-yos at clubs, shops, or contests comparing the “soul” of the players who try them.)

That said, the yo-yo needs YOU to fulfill its design. You need IT to express your creative spirit. So there’s a harmony or a resonance between you, and one design or another may bring that out.

I’m biased, but you want to throw a yo-yo with “a life of its own”? Try throwing one that was once alive. Wood is good. :wink:

24 Likes

TiVader or RSO SS Bowl

Both have that feeling and will sing to you too. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

To the OP: Have you tried a Panorama?

5 Likes

(This user has been censored by forum moderators)

Intangibles are attached to yoyos much like string.

By the user.

11 Likes

Speak for yourself, I hook mine up to the handy E-meter

3 Likes

@Blieske it looks like you like evenly distributed rim weight. I’m kind of the same and prefer my yoyo weight distribution to be mid weighted. I would throw out the Duncan Tourney as a recommendation or one of the new Brass Wisterias that Damian Puckett made.

2 Likes

No problem.

Yoyos with soul*

*attached by the user

But also what about vibe? That is not necessarily attached by the user unless the vibe results from the yoyo hitting the floor.

Yoyos with vibe have soul.

Vibe, dings, snaggy binds, unique splash ano = soul for daysssss

Did you know?

In the Necronomicon it is revealed that a spinning gyroscope is the perfect device for temporarily trapping a human soul. I suspect that when a person plays with a yoyo, and really starts getting in a groove with it, it is possible for that person to have an out-of-body experience. At that precise moment, the player’s soul may become trapped in the yoyo. When this happens, the player may experience an intense feeling of being one with the yoyo. Don’t worry, as soon as the yoyo stops spinning, the soul can escape and return to it’s typical host body.

6 Likes

Every yoyo I touch turns soulful.

4 Likes

My 1.5 Edge is getting its second wind because it falls in the middle of bi-metal performance beasts and more classic organic ones. Im generally not a big fan of bi-metals, but this one is definitely among my favorites.

Also the RBC is some magic soul of a yoyo, but something tells me that this is an unresponsive yoyo topic.

1 Like

Furn. i cannot put it down

1 Like

I’ma just throw out a long list here of stuff I think fits the bill

Alpine
NG1
Mowl plastics
Almost anything by RSO but specifically the Tiramisus, end Ti, Spaceships
Assassin
Backstage pass
Kuntosh 5000
Mgska and radix