YoYoJam shim alternative!

I was at the Dojo tonight (I teach martial arts for a living) and because it was the day after Thanksgiving here in the USA it was very empty for the most part. The 6 to 645 class was completely empty tonight and at first I decided to practice my Yang style short form taiji. Then I decided to throw for a while. I just recently got my Dark Magic 1 back from a family.member I loaned it to to try and get him throwing. He didn’t take to it. Sadness. I digress… because I got it back recently I have been using it as my main throw alot. Unfortunately my shims had split before I loaned it to him and it has been cranky about staying adjusted wide without the shims.

I got an idea when I saw a paper clip on the desk… I shaped the end of a small sized paperclip into a circle small enough that it fit snugly onto the axle post inside the bearing seat on the o-ring half of the yo-yo. Later on at home I snipped the paperclip so it made only a one loop thickness of paperclip and fit it to the yo-yo. Screwed the other half back on and sure enough it made the gap much wider without the bearing sitting above the seat! It plays beautifully now with a sanded off starburst and my o-ring shaved down to be flush to the wall.

My personal mod may not be for everyone but the paperclip “shim” works great and I wanted to let you all know! Its an easy alternative to paying shipping on a dollar item. Lol. Course if your getting other stuff along with then I suppose it doesn’t matter too much.

Oh well- ENJOY!

3 Likes