yoyojam counterweights

I barely ever come here, much less post, but I had to weigh in on this.

You could get a Yuuksta for 3 bucks less, but you’d be missing out on one of the best yoyos to come out in recent memory. The Phenomizm is amazing, I know a lot of people that actually prefer it to the Phenom. Or you could get another recycled YYF yoyo.

When we’re at the point where metal yoyos are selling for around 65 bucks and still play awesome, I think it’s safe to assume that any plastic/metal hybrid yoyo that costs that much is well worth it.

3 Likes

I 10000% Percent agree with you, hence why collection consist of a dm2 and an SR-71 :slight_smile:

I <3 my phenomizm
it easily plays as well as metals around that price range.

1 Like

free freehand

don’t you want to see a OneDrop or SPYY or CLYW dedicated 5A yoyo/CW setup ?

this patent thing has to end or 5A will become like astrojax

I’d like to see real, premium 5A setups from brands who actually are able to produce GOOD yoyos and nice, premium CW material

props to YYJ, but the whole patent thing is preventing the style to properly develop. and Duncan obviously doesn’t care enough to put out good, modern and premium 5A yoyos and CWs, despite the huge demand, they won’t even release a clear dice.

back on topic, anyone knows if it’ll be possible to buy the CW alone ? I really don’t see a use for the yoyo and I don’t feel like paying $60 for a CW

1 Like

I don’t get what the complaint is about the patent here. Duncan has always held the patent for 5A, other makers have never been able to make their own CW’s. Now, Duncan is actually allowing others to license the patent. YYJ did that. Other companies can too if they choose to.

YoYoJam counterweights should be available for sale around Worlds.

great news, much love ^^

looks like I’ll be spending even more money at worlds then I thought. lol

How much are just the counterweights going for?

they didnt offer them in the email that was sent to us and many other places, It stated that the new Destiny comes with the counter weight, sigh now i need small terrapins for MY bearingized Tethered Die.,lol

Love to sell 'em to ya…but radial bearings are the wrong ones to use for a CW. The harder you pull the harder they resist.
Try squeezing your hubstacked yoyo and see how fast you can stop it. even with TX ceramics.

You might get your wing cut A size tomorrow…let me know what you think.

Radial bearings have there benefits in counterweights. For one, they enable astro play. Secondly, because the bead can completely leave the counterweight, the bearing isn’t completely responsible for the tension issues. When the bead leaves the counterweight, the bead relieves the tension issues.

Radial bearings have there benefits in counterweights. For one, they enable astro play. Secondly, because the bead can completely leave the counterweight, the bearing isn’t completely responsible for the tension issues. When the bead leaves the counterweight, the bead relieves the tension issues.
[/quote]
The one designed for the purpose at hand could be mounted in the “bead” itself working at all times with any type of CW play without the problem of it having to spin while in the CW.
But yes I can see how a radial bearing would work fine when not responsible for the tension issues.

Got to see the new CW and destiny yesterday :smiley:
it looks pretty nice. but I think others have made better bearingized CWs. I’m pretty sure yoshi said they were going to be available for purchase in about a week.
also yomega s coming out/came out with a new throw that’s actually pretty good for around $20.
And another thing, Yoshi’s signature bimetal throw is gonna hit the shelves soon. Grant just has to film the video for it. :slight_smile:
just thought I’d share some things I heard yesterday at the sunshine kite company.

ordered my destiny, I’ll get it this week

there is one concern I have on the CW, while the beat and sliding CW would allow for double dice play, I’m concerned about the bead size/weight, to me, it looks too light to be really considered as “serious” DD device.

some competition between brands would grant us better 5A equipment

This post is just… no.

4 Likes

Edit: sent you a pm instead, let’s not do the spectacle

Because Duncan does nothing w/ their CW’s: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10150700342040014&set=a.10150111653600014.401178.494312145013&type=1&theater

this one’s really nice actually, props to them

that said, there’s probably some research, innovation that can be done, competition between manufacturers will push them to always look for something more, new, some improvement

astrojax is the perfect example of a good idea ruined by a patent

what if there were only one yoyo manufacturer (didn’t duncan try to put a patent on this in the past?) would it be that good, we wouldn’t have what we have now, side effects, hubstacks, so many different shapes, weight etc…

if one brands has the monopoly, they’re just giving people what they want and make money out of it

if several brands compete, they’re constantly pushed to innovate in order to be more attractive and stand out

it’s healthy for the activity, it’s healthy for the market

who knows how many good ideas 5A players already might have come up with? how many will just stay in the closet or remain confidential because no one can actually put it on the market and get rewarded for it.

but yes, this CW does look nice, but yea, it’s a clear, bling dice, I’ll probably buy a few of these and be happy, but I wish we could hope for more, for the side effects or hubstacks equivalent for our CWs

if Duncan does it, awesome! I’ll be the first to support them, if not, they should let someone else do it and get rewarded for it

I respect what Duncan represents and what they did for yoyoing, but the past is the past, what should be exciting is the future, having some sort of hope that 5A stuff will change, that specific throws will be designed, new CW concept would emerge and change the way we throw 5A entirely

this is what should be exciting, this is what I want to look forward to

because clear, light, bling, red with a grin or plain blue, a dice is always a dice, it will never be more
and I’m sure the yoyo community can come up with a better idea

props to YYJ for their destiny, I got one on the way and I’m looking forward to throw it.
they can probably afford the license more easily than some nobody working in his garage tho

But then again, if Duncan steps up here and work with 5A players, modders and artists to come up with some more “courageous” concept than a dice, I’ll wet my pants and support them with all my heart

styles should not belong to manufacturers

It’s what’s their’s. The law is the law. Besides, there was the whole 8 years or so that Duncan held the patent, but didn’t crack down on it. What innovations came of that time frame? Nothing. It isn’t like Duncan is making it hard for other companies to get in on the patent, they just have to purchase a licensing agreement, which would not be a terrible expense if they have such a breakthrough in 5A, the breakthrough that you seem so sure would happen if Duncan allowed anyone to toy with 5A.