Yoyofactory

So on the buy sell trade, Yoyofactory is not valued highly at all. It’s like reverse brand loyalty. But, as far as I can tell, they make some of the best yoyos out there.

So why do you think that people aren’t as fond of Yoyofactory?

They like that “niche” company or something that not everyone has so they can feel like they’re in some special clique. I’m not talking about everybody however, but it seems to me that everyone who “hates” on big name companies use the “no passion in their craft” argument or that those companies giv no real character to their yoyos, which can be wrong.

Or, it could be that YoyoFactory doesn’t make the best yoyo. Or, that person or persons just do not like the company. There’s no right or wrong, there is not “best” company. It’s all subjective.

A better revised question to ask is: “Why are YYF yoyos depreciate in value more than other companies?”
This has a less complex answer. It could be that YYF produces many more yoyos than other, smaller companies, so almost everyone has one of that yoyo. As a result, nobody needs to buy because they already own one. Other reasons could be that YoyoFactory yoyos are often already low enough in price (not saying that is a good or bad thing), so why buy from the BST for a low price when retail would be pretty much similar? That could be another reason.

I don’t really know what reverse brand loyalty is, but if you’re saying that people buy YYF then skew them off, I think you’re wrong. But again I don’t really understand. Just trying to put things in a neutral light here. Hope that helps

see also: 7yyd arc

They’re always in stock, so the demand is generally met. There are a few that have retained value and even appreciated, for example the C22 and some of the limited 888s.

Yeah, there are more collectible yyfs than that, but I see what you guys are saying.

I see YYF as becoming more “mainstream” and if you want to say, “common.” This is not a bad thing at all, it’s always nice to see a quality manufacturer grow. Most of my higher end throws are YYF actually.

…thankful that the Golden Galaxy Aviator 2’s were still in stock well after my trip, so that I would be able to snag one!

1 Like

They are like buying used video games at Gamestop. The price difference between new and used is so little that most would prefer to own new that way ensuring that they are the first to handle it. Nothing wrong with that.

Most yoyos are out of stock so you have to buy used. Yoyofactory on the other hand is almost always in stock an improving on their designs so nobody wants the previous versions unless they were limited edition. The problem is there’s so many limited editions now from them that most people don’t really consider them rare anymore. It’s like monkeyfinger and their 1 of 1 colorways. Doesn’t really matter when every single one is 1 of 1.

I agree that their business model often prices them out of the second hand market. It’s good, because they are in the business of selling new throws, not catering to a second hand market. For example, if most of their yo-yos were rare and expensive, people would buy them, who could not afford to keep them. Then, they would play them a very short time, and re-sell them mint, on the second hand market. You’re not likely to buy a beat Shutter second hand, because it’s only $45 to buy a new one. And, by the time you buy a new one, there is a new color, engraving or finish in stock. They keep things fresh enough that the new stuff is most desirable.

1 Like

it was around 2009/2010. As a brand we were growing. We had a fantastic following of collectors, resellers and supporters. We were confronted with a changing global market and there was the opportunity to remain very comfortable doing what we did or scale it up, try get our designs into more hands. Share what we did with more people all around the world. The realization that this would no longer appeal to those who built us as a brand was something that weighed heavily on us too but as players, we had to do what was best for players and that meant ending the limited availability game and making sure you could get the yoyo to push your performance at as many places as possible for as long as possible. The limited game simply moved over to other brands and we now had to do what we do without those loyal supporters we see pushing other smaller brands. Only thing that has changed is we went for a bit of a broader goal. We don’t look back with any regret. We are glad there are still brands out there using this support base to grow into but see they too will reach a point where they either remain happy in their niche or branch out. To the people who champion our brand today we have so much love and put this back into the product we but back out for you.

6 Likes

Genesis was, is and will always be one of my top 3 favorite yoyo designs ever. :wink:

1 Like

I agree, the Genesis design is just a masterpiece. Especially this version:

As far as I’m concerned ^^^ that right there is not only YYF’s best yoyo to date, but one of the best yoyos made by any company, ever.

2 Likes

Thanks for the insight, yyfben2! My family has only been involved in modern yoyo since January, but we have our fair share of YYF throws, as well as smaller manufacturer throws. I enjoy them all. As a consumer it is pretty cool to be able to purchase the same yoyo that was used to win Worlds 2014 for $45. Granted, in my hands that yoyo doesn’t have a chance at winning worlds, but, it is nice to know it isn’t the toy that is holding the player back :slight_smile:

Also, it is nice to see the One, and sometimes Velocity at Toys R Us. Makes it easy when someone wants the instant gratification of a store purchase vs a YYE order (which arrives scary fast to CT) for a beginner yoyo.

Having watched (and hopefully helped) YYF grow from the very beginning I still get a great feeling when I see their brand in the big retail stores.

YoYoExpert will exclusively debut a new Genesis at USA nationals this month :smiley:

1 Like

Wow :slight_smile: Can’t wait to see it

http://images57.fotki.com/v283/photos/2/1226082/9197780/spitsoutdrinkcomingtoamerica-vi.gif

Now we’re talking.

1 Like

ooh no… i must now save for this new genesis…

I try to represent yyf as best as I can here in Kansas. i think the closest sponsored player for them is in Illinois, but i love repping them even though im not a part of them

they are easily my fave company, reasons y…

First unresponsive: YYF WHiP (still have and actively use to this day)
first metal: YYF Supernova 2012
first yoyo to make a freestyle on: YYF Starlite
first yoyo to use to win states: YYF Aviator 1
first bi-metal: YYF Space Cowboy
fave yoyos of all time: YYF Cypher, WHiP, Onestar or Shu-ta (honorable mention: CLIFF by CLYW but this is a yyf thread so lets get back on topic :P)

so yoyofactory has (unofficially) helped me to get where i am in yo-yoing quite substantially so i feel repping them is the best way of thanking them

also, i neeeeeeeeed pics of the new genesis or i might expl-BOOM!

I have been waiting for this for a long time. Now I have to quit my job and drive to L.A. …Don’t tell my wife.