Yoyoexpert player cards?

Man, yes, has to be. So cool. Small world!

3 Likes

Thanks mate. Im no Legend. Just a player who loves the game from the bottom of my heart.

I started yoyoing back in 2002 when the anime super yoyo aired in my country. It never was professional.
Then i took a break until 2008 when i started learning the right way. Until i couldnā€™t do it anymore back in 2014 because i started studying in the college of engineering.
This year i got back to yoyos but as a collector. Collecting the models i couldnā€™t afford when i was younger

5 Likes

And yes i started a club back then. And now im trying to bring it to life back again

2 Likes

All of this is super impressive, but just want to say congratulations on your success in life! Going to college for Engineering is no small feat. I hope you continue to enjoy the game and collect for many, many years to come.

2 Likes

Thanks man.

Here is what i have so far

7 Likes

Thatā€™s the YYS case right? I love mine as well!

Really great collection btw! There are a lot of older school throws in there, right? Sorry if Iā€™m wrong, still making my way back through a lot of the popular yoyo designs over the years.

Hereā€™s a picture of my case and collection, although itā€™s definitely not as large or impressive as yours!

5 Likes

Great collection man. And yes its yys case.

I love old school yoyos. They are my favs

1 Like

Here ya go homiešŸ˜Ž

15 Likes

This is awesome @yoyodoc! Thanks so much for taking the time to post this.

It sounds like from the description and the picture that @Augie may have been the ā€œbad boyā€ of yoyoing. Would that be accurate?

I wonder what the story is with the 40k chandelier!

Edit - maybe bad boy isnā€™t the right term. Eccentric? Wild? Either way, what a fun trading card.

To be honest, I think I would have been / probably still be known as a relatively clean cut one who found himself in a lot of crazy situations. I started out as a really shy kid. But I think I also have a pretty big adventurous streak and curiosity, so I found myself in a quite a few bizarre situations, hahahaha. Which Iā€™m very grateful for.

So Iā€™d say more more on the eccentric end. Wild too maybe, but usually the wild things were happening around me. Maybe itā€™s like one of those planes that flies in the middle of a tornado, and I was the more the plane and the situations around me were the tornado haha.

I was also very heavily involved with teaching new kids for years. So above anything, my biggest priority has always been to try to be a good influence and role model to the younger set. Definitely not always perfect at that (not that anyone is), but Iā€™ve always cared about being the person I didnā€™t necessarily have in yoyo when I was younger.

Thatā€™s my take at least. Though others / people with an outside perspective could probably speak into it better than I could. :raised_hands:

3 Likes

Also, thanks for posting that doc! Miss you man!!!

1 Like

You sound like a really down-to-earth person that found himself in a large-than-life situation. I bet it must have been a really exciting stretch of time in your life! Was the yoyo community very tight-knit and supportive when you were competing, or was it a very competitive atmosphere?

Thanks again for taking the time out of your day to answer questions. This is all a really interesting peek into yoyoing competitive history.

When you have a moment, would you mind explaining the situation with the 40k chandelier that was mentioned on the card? Did that happen during a competition?

Thanks for the thanksšŸ˜

I had to look through a few to find it>

PSā€¦ I found a C3 card alsoā€¦.

!

5 Likes

Holy moly!!! What a collection. Are those unopened packs in the silver foil? :heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

Itā€™s fun seeing the reference to Gentry Stein on that C3 trading card. Heā€™s another hugely important competitive player, right? Really cool that he and Augie were close and practiced together in CA.

I know how much respect people on the forums have for you @yoyodoc, so Iā€™m guessing youā€™ve been involved in the hobby for a long time. Do you have a favorite yoyo-er from your time watching competitions and collecting the trading cards?

Also, unrelated but I love the pattern on the shirt (light jacket?) youā€™re wearing!

Just in the general category of yo-yo awesomeness, no doubt it would be my friend and fallen yo-yo Hero, Paul Escolar. Sadly, the only make one Paul their lifetime and thatā€™s not just my opinion. He was way outside the box.

For actual playing, an amazing showmanship itā€™s hard to top Paul Han

2006 national yo-yo contest 1A performance. He was one of the pacesetters and groundbreakers for acrobatic, fast tempo, complex tricks and stage movement for others to follow. And also a top rated 2A player.

3 Likes

I just looked up Paul Escolar, and Iā€™m sorry to you and to his family for your loss. It sounds like you two were really close. His wiki shows the many massive contributions he made to 1A and yo-yoing in general. Iā€™m sure he was an absolutely wonderful person on top of that.

I need to clarify something. ā€˜Weā€™ were good friends.

ā€¦But, he was certainly closer to friends he knew much longer than he ever knew me. In All the years I knew Paul, I donā€™t recall a Single person that had a problem with Escolar. I treasured our friendshipā€¦. But, I was just somewhere in the Worldwide list of his friends.

1 Like