Yoyo Video Question

Hey guys
So I was curious: in every yoyo video I’ve seen the players always have perfect timing to the song. Is the song playing in the back ground while the camera is recording, and then they take out the sound and add the song to it in editing? Just wondering how they do it to the music. I don’t see an iPod anywhere lol. Thanks guys :slight_smile:

Well there’s a few ways you could do it (that I can think of)

1. Have the song perfectly memorized and know when to hit a trick
  2. Have the song playing in the background (on a speaker or something) and overlap it lated so it sounds nice (via video editor)
  3. Edit the song itself to play around you yoyoing
  4. Or Luck… sheer luck.
1 Like

yea he’s right thats how you do it :slight_smile:

As mentioned, people tend to match their tricks with the song by having the song play while they are recording. Then, simply mute original audio and sync the actual song during editing.

Wouldn’t it be cool if you edited announcers talking instead of music! then it’d be like
“Oh! he just landed and whut! back to you jim…”

That would be awesome. :wink:

Regarding the syncing-- I’ve seen more videos that are not truly synced than videos that even seem synced. I think most of the time it’s coincidence. This is particularly true of videos shot at multiple locations; the best part from that location might be thrown during a completely different part of the song.

One thing I’ve done for my humble little videos is trimmed the beginning of the clip in such a way that the most noticeable string hits or movements coincide with the music. Getting consecutive moves to line up this way happens a lot more than you’d think, but it still boils down to luck!

HAHa

One of the issues is most people aren’t capable of really producing the video in a manner that gives them all the options that they want. There’s multiple reasons, most of which being “just don’t have the proper gear” and having to think outside of a constrained set of options.

Having an audible soundtrack in the environment server two purposes: You hear the music to play TO, then you can use that as a reference track for later on in the edit bay.

Another issue is that people aren’t practicing enough, but we’re talking YouTube stuff, not competition, so the mindset is different.

Lastly, the standard for video is 48K/96K resolution, not the CD 44.1K resolution. Unless you upconvert your audio to the new sample rate, you’re going to get drift.

Also, with a few cost effective purchases, you can easily extend the possiblities. Voice over can be done via crappy PC microphones if need be, rather than a nice(but affordable) audio interface and a reasonably priced microphone. People are already experimenting with video effects and transitions, and editing styles vary widely.

The best part is that since yoyo is for the most part short subject, the odds of catching and HOLDING people’s attention is better. Another good thing is that the ability to use your computer as a NLE(Non-Linear Editor) is getting easier and easier, and cheaper and cheaper. The barriers to entry are diminishing or getting easier to overcome. While all this is happening, more people are willing to try and take chances at this. Not everyone is a winner at this, but I won’t fault anyone who tries, because that right there is 75% or more of the battle.

For me, I’m a good editor. I am NOT a good Director of Photography or cinematographer.

1 Like

Sure, having an audible reference track in the video is key, if you’re interested in syncing! I just think that most of the “promo-type” videos you see (not just someone’s YouTube video) the player probably does so many takes across so many locations that they may not even be listening to music while throwing.

Regarding sample rate conversion; thankfully most video editors these days do it on the fly. Drop your music track into an audio lane and it just magically works.

I do remember the days of trying to put 44.1 into a 48K project though, and getting mighty aggravated. :wink: