Yoyo too responsive, even after swapping bearing, string, and response pads

I’ve already done that :slight_smile: I’ve tested all 5 bearings with the pads, again after checking the pads, then with the red silicon, and finally with the clear.

However…

One thing I’ve noticed during all this is that it is difficult to get the bearing to sit fully level in the half just pressing it with my fingers. I rely on the pressure of the halves to press the bearing into position while screwing them together.

The last time I un-screwed the yoyo just a couple of minutes ago, I could see with my eyes that the bearing wasn’t level - odd, because one would think the pressure from the halves would line it up, and that unscrewing wouldn’t change that. Apparently, I was wrong :smile: When I unscrewed the yoyo, I could put a fingernail between 1 area of the bearing and the half.

I tried this 4 more times in a row. I pressed the bearing down until it was level (to my eyes, anyway), then screwed the halves together. Then unscrew the halves, and the bearing is not sitting level on the seat. It does this consistently. Couple of times, I could slide my fingernail between the bearing and seat!

Maybe this is normal?

I’ll take some magnifiers to the bearing seat, maybe sand things down if I still can’t find anything.

Yeah maybe the bearing seat.

Have I mentioned the Colossus and Silenus are EXCELLENT and very inexpensive? :rofl:

Haha, yes…seems I remember something like that :wink:

It’s almost certainly the bearing seat then.

Looks like it. Thanks for walking through this with me, folks - much appreciated.

Hmmmm…Colossus III or IV…? I’ll probably just go with which has the colorway I prefer :):sunglasses:

1 Like

4 has slightly improved fingerspin cups, slightly better thumb grind edge, otherwise identical.

1 Like

I’ve had this issue with a couple yo-yos before that had such a tight bearing seat it wouldn’t allow the bearing to spin properly. If you’re a tinkerer and want to take a shot at fixing it then a quick solution is sandpaper.

I always go with a fine sandpaper like 400 grit, rip off a small 2x2 inch piece, fold it in half, and sand the side of the post with the flat folded half of the paper. This part of the yo-yo:

IMG_7238

Hold the yo-yo half in your other hand and rotate evenly as you sand it. Test if the bearing fits after a few passes and repeat until you can seat the bearing and remove it with your fingers. Then do the other half.

Or… consider that yo-yo responsive from now on and buy a new one if this is too much work for an N12. :grin:

3 Likes

Thanks, Garrett, I’ll give it a try - I definitely am a tinkerer and do get some enjoyment out of trying to fix things up - even if the item isn’t worth near the amount of time put into it :smile:

Aaaaaand that was it, Garrett!

I had some 320 grit sandpaper and went to work. Never sanded a yoyo before, and was very surprised at how little time it took to bring one half of the yoyo to the point of only loosely holding the bearing. Used a slightly damp paper towel to wipe off any tiny bits of metal.

I decided to just try the half I suspected was the culprit before sanding the other half, and bingo, no binding on finger spins or grinds. Threw a sleeper and jerked it up a number of times, and the string stayed completely out of the gap. Live and learn, and something to know for future reference.

Much appreciated!

4 Likes

Glad it worked out!

1 Like