Yoyo spontaneously unscrewing

I was playing my Chief, and all of the sudden I heard a weird noise and it started playing differently. I looked at the yoyo and realized it was coming apart. I managed to save it, but am now afraid to use my Chief, not because of dings, but because I don’t know if it was an error on my part. Is it stripped or something of that nature?

It’s just not screwed together tight enough. Issues like this pop up every now and then.

1 Like

^
what he said.
I’ve had that happen quite a few times. Just try to stop the yoyo from spinning when you hear the noise, and tighten it back up.

I agree that it’s probably user error, but my Chief has done this 2 times in the span of 3 months. None of my other yoyos have ever done this. I think the yoyo might have something to do with it.

2 times in 3 months doesn’t sound like it happens very often. I’d peg it to coincidence.

Get Loctite BLUE. It’s in a red tube. One drop on each end of the axle. Problem solved. .

Not sure if securing the axel by means other than tightening is wise. I have had no issues in this department. Just tighten throws properly and avoid opening them.

Loctite blue isn’t permanent. I use it in my throws with floating axles with no issues.

2 Likes

yeah, blue loctite isn’t at all permanent. Just don’t use red and you’ll be fine.

Does it dissolve or something?

It’s just kind of a gritty bit of stuff that keeps the fastener from slipping. I’m sure Google can explain better than I can how it works. Just trust us that you can indeed remove the axle after using it. :wink:

http://www.loctiteproducts.com/p/t_lkr_blue/overview/Loctite-Threadlocker-Blue-242.htm

Greg

No, it doesn’t dissolve, but it’s not as strong as the others so it’s easy to unscrew if you have to.

Green loctite will also work. Its the weaker version so you will still be able to unscrew the yoyo and take out the axel if need be. I use green.