YoYo Purchase Advice?

I’ve narrowed it down to 4:

1. YYJ Fever
  2. YYF 888
  3. YYF Worlds YoYo (similar to the Gpoint5) and something cheap
  4. YYF Northstar

It all depends on your definition of ‘better’. If ‘better’ is based on the number of tricks it can do, I would like to point out that any yoyo that has a bearing out there, can do any trick you throw at it, easily. In that aspect, no yoyo is better than the other. However, after a certain point, the only change that you would see is the smoothness, which affects how much you enjoy it. For example, a speeder can do any trick that you can do on a Phenom, but the only difference would be, the Phenom would probably be smoother than the Speeder. So if you are looking at how smooth the yoyo is, then usually, a more expensive yoyo would fare better.

Too bad you couldn’t figure this out a few days ago and then saved 15% on YYE’s National YoYo Sale.

Most yoyos today are “competition grade” apparently. Even stuff like the Lyn Fury I bought had a sticker on the side saying it was a competition yoyo. Ultimately, it comes down to player skill and preferences.

1: Absolutely yes, if you find that yoyo and you get along just fine. Championships have been won on inexpensive models. It’s player skill primarily. If you have good skills, any yoyo will be amazing. Finding the yoyo that works best for you, well, that just adds to it! I’ve seen people compete with the Starlight and do amazing.

2: Worlds 2011 1A was won using a Northstar. Speed Dial? Hmmm, maybe not so much. Jayyo loves using his PSG for competition and I’ve seen others compete with the Asteroid as well. Again, skill comes first. Nobody judges based on model or price.

Again, it comes down to preferences, plain and simple.

I don’t know about the Fever, but the hitman PRO and DV888 are excellent yo-yos especially for the price. I haven’t compared them side by side with an oscillatrix but all the yo-yos you mentioned are fantastic (don’t know about the speed dial or asteroid though). You’ll probably be happy with any of the throws you mentioned and they all can handle tons of tricks and styles. So pick a throw and have fun!

1 Like

Fixed

Look at the Di Base if you want an awesome yoyo for an awesome price.

Really, all these yoyos are great. It comes down to the material and finish that drives up the price. I love my Northstar, only problem is no grinding on it. The Asteroid is a great yoyo too, just not my cup of tea. I am considering competing with Metal Drifter. The Di Base is also a great yoyo, but it feels a bit clunky, especially for 5A. Still, a great yoyo, just on the heavy side for you clunk throwers.

I have a completely different impression of the Di Base. It feels solid, graceful and smooth in play with no “clunk/thunk” at all. I will say I am not a fan of the weight rings. The past few days I’ve been looking for the box so I can move the weight rings to a proper safe location for storage. However, I won’t comment regarding 5A for that yoyo as I don’t think it’s a suitable shape for 5A since I think 5A needs more center weight. I notice most yoyos intended for 5A tend to have more mass placed in the center as opposed to a 1A-oriented throw that pushes more to the rims.

What do you think about the 888? I saw one on the BST for $40 shipped.

Yes I agree with that. I enjoy it for 1A, just not my cup of tea. I guess I like lighter yoyos in general. I wish I could shave off a couple of grams to make it perfect. Still, a great yoyo. Just don’t like the anodizing on it, I felt it was too delicate, as it seems to scuff very easily compared to others

Yes I agree with that. I enjoy it for 1A, just not my cup of tea. I guess I like lighter yoyos in general. I wish I could shave off a couple of grams to make it perfect. Still, a great yoyo. Just don’t like the anodizing on it, I felt it was too delicate, as it seems to scuff very easily compared to others