Yoyo Playstyle Logos/Symbols

What’s the history with this logo? Why is it a star and do other playstyles have their own symbol too?

2 Likes

The points of the star are made out of 5 "A"s, with a counterweight in the center. Bryan Figueroa designed them. The 4A logo is a lotus of four lowercase "a"s. I believe somebody else designed the 3A symbol so I wouldn’t even know where to begin looking for it.

15 Likes

Anyone done a 1a logo? I’d propose something like this:

10 Likes

I don’t believe so. It’d be neat to try and figure something out for 1A though. I’d need to put a lot of time into thinking about it though, I think your idea is a bit too on the nose.

The beauty of the 0A logo is that is in its simplicity. The A is tied directly into the 0 which to me symbolizes it as the root of yoyoing. 0A responsive are where everything started, so it’s tied to everything. The combination of the two symbols also forms a rocket ship which you can take to imply that this is the “launch” of yoyo as a whole. It’s a really great symbol, and it’s so subtle that it just looks like a piece of art on its own.

The 4A logo is also really great. The weave of each character flows so smoothly it reminds me of the wind. Free flowing air. It’s also perfect that it was put on Bryan’s old signature yoyo AIRE. It’s a logo that’s not up front with what it is, I like the subtlety in them.

The 5A logo is probably the one I have the least to say about. It’s fine, the inclusion of the counterweight in the center is cute. I don’t think it really represents much else other than just trying to incorporate the letters into a symbol.

With something for 1A I feel like it should show that it’s the modern building block of modern yoyo. I was almost just thinking of a triangle with nothing else. If 0A is where everything started, 1A feels like what modern yoyoing is built off of, it’s the foundation. Having the entire logo done with a single line/stroke would also be a neat element to try and include in it.

3 Likes

Wow my mind is blown! How did I not notice that the 5A logo is made out of 5A’s with a counterweight in the middle? Awesome logo.
But I can’t tell the 4A symbol is made out of four lowercase "a"s to be honest.

2 Likes

Yeah, totally! This was my 5 minute photoshop first draft :sweat_smile:

I got another 5 minute draft, 2a:

5 Likes

I like your 2a design idea a lot

I wanna see it!

1 Like

Thanks! I think it was a better flash of an idea than the 1A logo (sometimes the bulb burns a little brighter, you know?)

It looks like a looper, or two. Symmetrical, yet free flowing…not too serious.

I feel like the 3A logo would be a pyramid (too simple though)…or somehow making 3 "A"s look like a pair would be more apt…a complex tangling.

2 Likes

The 5A star fills me with a weird nostalgic pride. 5A has been my favorite style for nearly as long as I’ve been playing with yoyos, which is over 15 years now. I always saw it and knew even in a niche hobby that I had something in common with someone else.

2 Likes

This is a neat idea for a start! Having the serif circle around or trying to incorporate both into a spiral might be a neat place to go with this general idea as a base.

1 Like

Oh, I like that idea! Consider it utilized.

1 Like

Might be starting to lose the look of a lower case “a”…will play more with this later, also have another idea to have the “strings” form a “2”…hm…

2 Likes

yea i thought the same

1 Like

here is a 3A concept idea, it’s a poorly drawn 3A trapeze and the grey lines in combination with the yoyo strings form 3 "A"s.

1 Like

a symbol should be more square

1 Like

I honestly thought I was going to have to flag that 3a design for inappropriate content before I read the post. :joy:

I like the 1a design, and the first 2a personally.

2 Likes

These are cool. If they get finalized I might get some yoyo tattoos out of them :eyes:

1 Like

Stumbled onto this ancient 3A symbol. Back when it was called “triple A” and not “three A.”
rpb3oP5

It was in this ancient 3A video from US nationals 2001.

8 Likes

That looks like a very fun time. And 3A legend Hank Freeman is in that video!

Who is this absolute ICON of early-oughts fashion?

2 Likes