Yoyo forum personalities

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

surprisingly, that wouldnā€™t be the least objectionableā€¦ and is probably less frequent now in real life than it was some 6-8 years ago, lolā€¦

if you see me iā€™ll say hello, canā€™t tell
ya what the wrong guy would do though :man_shrugging:t3:

3 Likes

Hahahaha I can imagine the scene: a bodybuilder looks at you while playing yoyo and he says ā€œhey, Iā€™m fatguysnacks.ā€ :exploding_head:

2 Likes

New throw who dis?

1 Like

Somewhat tangential but thought thisā€™d be the best place to share an anecdote.

When I first started lurking last September I thought @yoyodoc was @DocPop and you can imagine my confusion.

I thought ā€œWow doc popā€™s way of speaking and general vibe on camera is very different from the way he writes on the forumā€.

I even saw doc popā€™s actual account and just thought he had two accounts, one for youtube stuff and one for postingā€¦took me a couple months to realize.

6 Likes

You mistook them for Bigfoot?

Youā€™re not the only one. I went through the same confusion.

1 Like

Glad to hear Iā€™m not the only one haha! I appreciate them both but thinking of them as the same person causes major cognitive dissonance.

1 Like

Youā€™ll recognize me if you see me park because my license plates are the same as my screen name. :grin:

Ivan

1 Like

I will clear up a few thingsā€¦

I am not a yo-yo historian but I am pretty sure Doctor Popular was ā€˜alreadyā€™ Doctor Popular long before I happened into the yo-yo scene.
I think he was already busking with skill toys and on his way to being the Amazing person he is todayā€¦ and, he was already Amazing 20+ years ago. Doc Pop(Brian Roberts) chose his own handle by himself.

My nickname was completely different in origin.

Back around 1997/98, I was thinking about how I never had a yo-yo as a kid. My older brother had a Duncan yoyo. He would leave it on the dresser. I would pick it up now and then and my Mom would tell me, ā€˜Put down your brothersā€™ yo-yo before you break something.

40+ later, Iā€™m riding one of my custom Harleys down the street, and I see this kid doing some nice looking tricks with a yo-yo. Instantly taking me back several decades. I decided I just had to get a yo-yo.

I looked around and asked around and found out about a place called Goldenapple Comics on Melrose in the Hollywood area. Comics, action figures, games, skill toys(including yo-yos), etc.

After a few weeks I finally decide to actually go up and check out the Store. Right as I was walking into the Store, I see this girl putting yo-yos in a glass case. I asked her, ā€˜Can I buy one of thoseā€™?
She replied, ā€˜We just got these in today. The Boss hasnā€™t even tried one yet. Do you yoyo?
ā€¦I told her no. I just want to buy a yo-yo. She told me the one I chose was expensive for a beginner. I told her money was not a problem for me.
She said there were many more economical options.

I told her I just wanted to buy one yoyo and leave before I got a parking ticket. Next thing I knew, the girl(Melinda) gets on their Com system and says, ā€˜Big Bill to the frontā€™. ā€¦.And suddenly, there he is/board shorts/Hawaiian shirt and tennis shoes> Big Bill Lebowitz. The girl tells him, ā€˜This man wants to buy an expensive yoyo but is just beginner level. He tells me he had many less expensive options. I told him I didnā€™t care about the price, He told me he use to be a Yo-yo demonstrator when he was younger and would show me a few tricks, blah, blah, blahā€¦.

ā€¦ā€¦Demo over, Mo leaves with yoyo wondering if everybody that wanted to buy a yo-yo gets interviewed before they qualify to buy something,lol.

An hour later I am back home and rolling my yoyo up and down. My girlfriend says, ā€˜Big boy get a New toy? Can you do any tricks?ā€™ I told her not really.

Building cars and motorcycles for a living, I had a nice Machine-shop built right into my garage.

I told my girl, ā€˜I can pull off a trick. I will make this yo-yo play better. But firstā€¦. More yo-yos to fiddle with. After a daylong shopping spree, I had several yo-yos to use as sacrifices to my hot rodding a yo-yo mission.

After a few weeks of Dr. Frankenstein experiments, I buried the fatalities and put the survivors in a paper bag. I told my girl I was going to find somebody that throws yo-yos to try out my yo-yos to see how well they might play after the things I did to mod them?

As I was leaving, she handed me this black leather purse-like bag and told me, ā€˜Put your yo-yos in this bag instead of that paper bag.ā€™

ā€¦ā€¦So I make it up to Goldenapple. I go to the counter and the girl tells me that they were having a Yo-yo lessons class across the street in the parking lot. And some of the more advanced players were there.

I was on the edge of the activities and singled out a few kids that seemed pretty skilled with yo-yos. I told them I had several yo-yos but wasnā€™t good enough to tell if they were any good.

No sooner are these kids tossing around my modded yo-yos, here comes Big Bill. As he says hello, one of the guys tells Bill, ā€˜Bill, you have to try one of these yo-yos. They play really nice.
So Bill starts throwing one around. And then puts it down and picks another to try. He says, ā€˜These play better than some of the yo-yos I sell in my Store.
Well did you get these? I twisted them around myself. He said, ā€˜Very nice workā€™ā€¦ And then he recognized me from a few weeks earlier in his Store.

I told him I build custom vehicles and cutting stuff up and trying to improve it is my life. Yo-yos are just another Adventure. But since I am not a player, I need others to help me find out if I am modding in the correct direction?

Suddenly he seemed fixated on my yoyo bag. I hadnā€™t noticed it looked like a smaller version of a Country Doctors bag. Pure coincidence.

Regardless, he blurted out, ā€˜Are you some kinda YoyoDoctor?ā€™

And I said, ā€˜well, I guess you could say thatā€™.

He asked me if I wanted to be Goldenapplesā€™ resident YoyoDoctor?

I guessā€¦. And the rest is history.

Unlike Doc Pop, I did not choose my own ā€˜handleā€™

true story>

PSā€¦I really felt bad when Big Bill died. He was certainly a Beacon of light in the Yoyo World.

I made many lifetime friendships through Goldenapple. And the advice he shared over the years was immeasurable.

PSā€¦ā€¦DocPop and I have been friends for many years now. There has never been any issue related to Doc this or Doc that.

The endšŸ¤“

20 Likes

Enjoyable read on a subject I was curious on. Thank you

6 Likes

I did the same thing and reached out to
yoyodoc about a post, I thought he was Docpop, yoyodoc helped me with the confusion.

1 Like

Thatā€™s incredible!!!

2 Likes

Very cool. I got a few yo-yos at Golden Apple myself in the 90s. Wish Iā€™d lived closer and went to some of the classes/meetups.

I wonder what @dryoyo would think about this confusionā€¦

:upside_down_face: