Yoyo CAD & Prototyping Adventures

I wanna pull start #2 soooo bad!

4 Likes

I voted #2 - That yo-yo looks great @smileypants707, you have estimated specs?

6 Likes

@YoYoExpertGarrett

Specs Cobra Lilly v2.1
Material: Al 7075
Weight: 66.2 g
Diameter: 55.4 mm
Width: 42.8 mm
Gap: 4.39 mm
Ixx 15,880
COM 66.3
9 Likes

ooh nice, I call dibs if you ever make a run! :laughing:

9 Likes

Any more voters?

2 Likes

#two

1 Like

1st one looks cooler imo, but if the purpose of the 2nd one is fingerspins, then maybe choose that one (Ive never done fingerspins, so a design that favors them is of tertiary importance imo).

1 Like

It’s not a dimple, it’s a spike. Which can be pull start finger spun :crossed_fingers:

4 Likes

It’s a super-duper looking yoyo you’ve designed here @smileypants707!

5 Likes

This is a fun topic to read.

8 Likes

Man, Havent been here in a lil bit.
anyways
sneak peek

width : 43.5 g
mass : tbd
diameter : 57 mm

not final of course. just fun looking design

5 Likes

any recommended free cad programs?

is https://www.freecadweb.org/ good?

2 Likes

I’ll give freecadweb a shot to see if it’ll work, I’m sure it has enough tools to design a yoyo, they honestly aren’t that complicated.

I personally use Fusion 360:

6 Likes

Get the startup license for Fusion 360 like @MarkD said.

2 Likes

Onshape is awesome. quite different from other CAD software in terms of methods, but its got the same capabilities as the really expensive ones, maybe even better. It’s free as long as you keep all of your projects public, so anyone can find something if they are looking. I personally use this because I’m not rich, not an engineering student, or care about people “stealing” my designs.

5 Likes

Hi!

I’m relatively new to Fusion 360, I decided to use it to make a yoyo for my final project in my high school drafting and design course. If anyone has any helpful tips on the matter, I’d really appreciate it!

Thanks!

3 Likes

I looked through the thread and saw some neat renders and stuff, how’d you put response and a bearing in the design? And how did you calculate the weight?

2 Likes

You can add them to the sketch the same way you draw the yoyo quarter profile:

The blue-highlighted sections are the pad and 1/2 of a center-trac bearing.

To calculate the weight, use the Revolve tool to create a 3d body of the yoyo half. Then select the Material Properties of that body. Apply the material you plan on using (plastic, aluminum, etc).

Next, select the Properties of that body and it will show you the estimated mass.

Multiply this by 2 (for two halves!) then add 2.5-3g for the bearing, axle, and pads.

3 Likes

2 Likes

Hi,

I’ve been looking at yoyo’s i enjoy and trying to come up with a design i really liked.

Thoughts on this?

1 Like