Yoyo CAD & Prototyping Adventures

Looks okay, I don’t know about the size of the axle nub, @MarkD help us out?

1 Like

• Too much overall weight
  • Moment of inertia is really low considering the weight. not an efficient use of material
  • Diameter (based on your bearing post being standard for a C bearing) is a bit small
  • It fits a 20mm axle, which is cool!

Converting it from sketch to CAD doesn’t take too long - I’d recommend trying it out yourself!

4 Likes

:poop:

Anyone here use onshape?

1 Like

thoughts?

3 Likes

I updated the profile cuz I decided mean for the edge of the rim to be poking inward. I also went through and adde fillets to everything

this also made the weight more normal

3 Likes

Looking better!

Hi,

I recently got into yoyo design and learned Fusion 360 this week. I’ve got a design I’m pretty happy with, but feedback would be appreciated!

Specs:
Width: 46.38 mm
Diameter: 55.179 mm
Weight: 64.64

Yoyo_2019-Apr-30_12-42-14PM-000_CustomizedView28161898227 Yoyo_2019-Apr-30_12-42-29PM-000_CustomizedView59179036134

5 Likes

This is the sketch!

2 Likes

Interesting shape. Well done!

1 Like

thanks! :grin:

I think that 1st/2nd rim area is going to be tricky to cut on a lathe. There’s a small undercut in that little area, you should try to avoid undercuts like that where it’ll be hard for the tool to fit.

2 Likes

How much do you think is reasonable?

is this better?

Is this do-able?

How do you know that’s the actual weight of the yoyo? Using the yoyos volume and aluminums density?

1 Like

You can check the mass of the half of the yoyo by applying the density of the material you’re using, then checking it’s mass in it’s properties.

@MarkD helped me out with a post on https://forums.yoyoexpert.com/t/yoyo-cad-prototyping-adventures/291547/309

2 Likes

Looking at the render, I’m considering a 2nd ring between the outer rim and the first ring, it feels like that empty space should be filled with something. If anyone knows how that would affect performance, let me know! :grin:

I like the shape. Looks like the weight distribution is maybe too even, or at least that weight distribution seems a bit at odds with that shape?

1 Like

What’s the purpose of that undercut? I don’t think you should have one between the two rims at all. Think of a cutting tool approaching the bar stock from the right - make sure it’s easy for the the machinist to set it up!

Also, a couple other issues I spotted:

• There is a sharp cut where the flatter part of the profile meets the more angled part
  • There’s a discontinuity near the R1.303 fillet, this is not machinable
1 Like

Can you give an example of a ring without an undercut? and thanks! I’ll go through and fix those issues :grin:

1 Like

Yeahhhh I’ll get rid of the undercut, I don’t really do thumb grinds so I can smooth it out

2 Likes