Yoyo body corrosion

Somehow(suspect weather issue) the yoyo body corrosion, and its like abit rough and the anodize is faded, anything to do with it?

1 Like

I have had the same thing happen to my exia on the clear half on the clear and rainbow rims colourway. I have no idea why it happens, but I’m guessing it might be due to humidity. I would really appreciate it if someone can shed some light on this phenomenon. I have tried google searching but I have found nothing.

My guess would be from the pre ano prep process or the actual ano being flawed from the actual coloring process

Have you contacted the manufacturer or seller?

Out of curiosity, are you on the coast? Salt air? I know cars rust differently in the coastal areas (patches blooming on the body where paint chips provide ingress) than they do here in the Rust Belt (basically a steady deterioration from the bottom up, starting with fenders and rocker panels) so I’m curious if yoyos might be more susceptible to regional hazards like that as well?

Ivan

1 Like

It could be pitting

I’m looking at the photo and i’m not sure i’m seeing the issue? is the yoyo splashed? are you talking about the white spots on the rim? or the white marking on the body.

salt air might be the issue, the previous owner lived beside sea

both

1 Like

Seems like that is the case here, with the humid environments that the yoyo has been through. I’m guessing mine is also due to the same reason. The weird thing is that only very few yoyos having such pitting corrosion (I for one only experienced this on my clear half of the Mk1 Exia, none of my 100 other yoyos are affected in any way), which means that it is likely that the yoyo manufacturer failed to put a protective coating over the aluminium to prevent such corrosion.

I probably would coat it with something in the future, but if it was smooth, that anno does look kinda sick

Use some Renaissance Polish Wax to protect your throw from the elements. It’s quite easy to apply and acid free.

A can will last you for ages!

1 Like

Aluminum shouldn’t rust probably an ano thing

It doesn’t rust in the conventional manner, but it can corrode in the same way when exposed to the elements, or particularly salt.

It is surprising that it could happen to a yoyo which is generally in a protected environment, but, who knows. Maybe someone went swimming in the ocean with it or something?

Ivan

1 Like

Not in my case, mine has been in it’s box the whole time, but I’m guessing the manufacturer forgot to seal it after anodising, which resulted in the aluminium pitting.

Yeah that’s an odd one for sure then. I’m surprised that it would corrode in the box even if it’s totally untreated aluminum.
Is it possible that whatever finishing process is involved is actually reacting negatively with the metal? Some sort of contaminant in the mix or something? I don’t know much about anodizing so just spitballing at this point, I’m fresh outta ideas!

Ivan

1 Like

No, rust is a steel thing but aluminum can corrode over time just due to general conditions. Also if you are prone to using something like Windex to clean things, don’t use it on aluminum. Windex, and other cleaning products, may contain ammonia which does cause aluminum to corrode. (I’ve done it, on an expensive camera tripod).

2 Likes

Aluminum doesn’t rust, but it certainly will oxidize. That usually shows up as pitting or a greyish layer.

1 Like