Yoyo Archive Section

I often find myself googling for yoyos and seeing a picture from Yoyoexpert in the results. However, the corresponding page is missing 99.9% of the time. So please add a section for yoyos not sold anymore. It would be especially helpful as many companys and stores dont offer this either

11 Likes

There where several archive sites but many have disappeared. Most stores aren’t able to keep unlimited listings so there will always be a purge of old never to be re stocked items. There’s usually platform limits or tiers that cost money at certain number of entries. It’s more or less to ensure s company doesn’t end up with a massive database on a SaaS (cloud hosted software)

It would be neat if it’s possible but I imagine it’s not or at the least increase overhead or process time. Inventory is also a nightmare when you have 10s or 100s of thousands of out of stock listings.

Also from an optimization stand point larger and large db tables will make searches take longer. Keeping your site “lean” makes it less resource intensive which depending on hosting can also make things expensive but I won’t dive into that. Most like yye are Shopify so I assume the software as a service provider has hard platform limits. Personally never used Shopify but every SaaS has limitations either technical or practical.

3 Likes

I dont think it would be much data. If it is, a stripped down page would be good as well. Just with the pics from one colorway maybe plus the desc&specs? Im not a tech guy though…
Search times would not be affected I think, since the archived pages wouldnt be taken into consideration when searching im the main store, theyd just be searchable in the archive section.

That’s assuming the shop platform as an archive option. Otherwise all entries would be in the same lookup table. I’m not saying it’s not possible from a technical perspective but the platform may(probably) not account for an option like that.

1 Like

I could see the use of a feature for yoyoexpert. It will help differentiate between current throws and yoyos that will probably never get a rerun (like some of the bimetal edge listings on yoyo expert). This would benefit people who are not keeping track of throws. It would also benefit people who want to know what the classic yoyos are.

For the record it may not be worth it for it to happen because another yoyo retailor (from japan) already has a museum section which shows some of the classic yoyo’s. The main advantage for yoyoexpert to implement this change would be to keep people on yoyoexpert instead of going to a competitor’s webpage.

1 Like

The Yoyo Museum website has a large section of yoyos, past and present…

As does the Yoyo Wiki

3 Likes

The two big Japanese online yoyo retailers move their old permanently out of stock listings to museum/archive sections. Yoyowiki and that yoyo museum are neat, but they’re run by hobbyist/volunteer people, and often lack useful photos/information. Retailers actually list all the specs including things like gap width and axle length, as well as providing high quality photos of the profile and bearing seat + response.

The information and quality of photos provided by retailers really is so much better and more useful as a reference source. And this is included for all the products sold, not just the ones volunteers buy and document themselves. Also reviews on YYE are lost when pages for old yoyos are just removed instead of archived.

I’d love to see YYE have an archive section, because they carry a lot of products other retailers never did, and it’s so hard to find good pictures and spec lists of lots of less popular yoyos releases throughout the 2010s now.

7 Likes