Yoyo-apocalypse

What happens when everything ends? Lets face it, most will spend their time trying to find food, water, and shelter. But pure survival eventually gets boring, and what is small, lightweight, and fits a nomadic lifestyle? You already know.

Let’s be realistic, chances of finding string and response pads in a 50 mile radius are far less then any other item. The yoyo itself also needs to be weather resistant. Wooden yoyos swell if soaked(don’t ask me how I know), and they also eat strings. Not an ideal choice. But modern metal or plastic yoyos aren’t necessarily ideal. These have silicone pads, which don’t last forever. I know some have collections so large as to negate any real need to find replacement parts, but this is the apocalypse, not an extended vacation, so assume one has either lost 99% of one’s possessions or was out at work and has no way to easily get home, if the home is still standing.

For the sake of ideas, say string isn’t an issue, because you found a hobby lobby and made a rig to make your own. Also assume you have lighter fluid and can afford to clean your bearing with it. Also assume that you always carry yoyo lube for some reason. Bearings will last a very long time if maintained, but what about transaxles? That could be an alternative.

The physical construction of the yoyo will be a factor. Yoyos that are known to easily strip, or have weak spots that can break, such as plastic bearing seats, or fragile walls, won’t stand up to the end of life as we know it.
Starburst response will require no maintaince, but maybe this is an assumption of not having silicone of some kind.

What yoyos fit this bill, if any? No idea why I thought of this, but I’d love to see what ideas people come up with.

7 Likes

Spinworthy Survivalist

9 Likes

Juggling, perfect activity for the new stone age.

6 Likes

I think all our time will be spent learning how to survive - trying to find food and protecting yourself and family from LOTS of people that will come to take your stuff as well as some family members. I think yoyos will be forgotten about very quickly. This is a just-for-fun-question so yeah, it’d be cool to have a yoyo in a backpack. A transaxle or fixed axle would be best.

7 Likes

u should already kno that i have a lifetime supply of silicone for response pads and thread for string. ive stocked up on these more than every1 in the world has stocked up on toilet paper

jk I wish I had silicone

4 Likes

one drop yoyos you can swith out the hub if it strips, titanium yoyos would fix most of these problems, and you can stock up on some yyf axles for cheap along with silicone to replace ur response pads around 50 times which should last 4 years

4 Likes

Get yourself like 5 airetic strings. Pretty much a lifetime supply

9 Likes

I thought the same thing about the great white and Sonny gave me a huge bag, And today not a one.

1 Like

I think I’d get a Chameleon.
I could use it as a boat in case I needed to travel down a river.
As a giant signal for any planes that may pass by.
A pot to cook rice in.
And a shelter to live under.
It’s really the perfect yoyo for an apocalypse!

7 Likes

Zero problems for me.

Alls you have to do is know how to make a hammock.

Then… lie down on the hammock. Get comfortable. And just dream of yoyoing.

You don’t have to look for a single thing.

And I always do better combos in my sleep anyways.

7 Likes

y’all are worried about yoyos… one of the simplest objects of joy that can be reproduced…

fortunately, almost all of my music is on vinyl, so when the electricity is out, i’ll be able to whoop something up that i can listen to while i play… analog :wink:

5 Likes

Where would I post my trick circles :scream::scream::scream:

1 Like

i’ll be playing records bro… y’all can come to my place and ‘trick circle all night long!’. :partying_face:

edit: and @Mystik will be hosting as well, obviously

2 Likes

I’ll make sure to have a copy of your address written down analogue so I can seek it out when the world ends :slight_smile:

2 Likes

sending yoyos to all my friends now!!!

3 Likes

Solar powered turntable? The power plants have shut down.

2 Likes

nah, you can literally make a simple speaker out of a paper plate, tape and a needle… we’d have some of our healthier folks go on rotation bike pedaling the turntables (and i expect nothing but at least, or better, than matching technics wow and flutter tolerances)… this is in it’s most rudimentary form… however, you can play records without electricity… even using the existing needle and tonearm system

5 Likes

Preach it brother!!!

2 Likes

Back in Black may not sound as good coming from a papercup but it’d be better than nothing.

3 Likes

hell yeah my man, hells friggin yeah!

2 Likes